Channel Balance Help

A home owner from Littleton, CO says:

Hi there, I'm hoping you can help me with the replacement part for my window. Please see attached pictures of the parts. The part only lists 2930P, is about 31 inches in length, and half an inch in width. I also added a picture of a window with the piece that is still working and I added another picture of the window where the part needs to be replaced and I'm wondering if you can tell me what the flat black plastic piece on top of the window frame is and if you carry it because that broke as well and I need that piece to help hold in and hold up the Channel balance from what it looks like. Thanks so much for your help and please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional photos.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named entire piece.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named what looks like on working window.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2930P half inch.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken black plastic piece balance attaches to.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken end part that attaches to black plastic pie
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey there. This looks like either an S380-30 or S385-30. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe, or what can be thought of as the heel-to-toe measurement, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. You will need a stamp option of 2930. 

That flat part in the top corners of the sash is called a Top Sash Guide. They keep the channel balances in place during window operation. Due to age and sunlight, they can break down over time, and when this happens, the balances shoot past the window sash. I'm fairly confident we can help replace these for you, but we'll need to see an undamaged version out of the window, with pictures from the front and side. For assistance removing and replacing Top Sash Guides as well as your Channel Balances, see the videos below.

Hi again and thank you so much for getting back to me. I tried taking the window out that I need the replacement piece for to take pictures of the working side per your request, but unfortunately upon removing the window from the frame, the piece shot out and the plastic piece on top shattered. Guess that one was on its last leg as well. I don't want to chance removing another window and have those bust as well so I think we may have to wing it from here. I believe you are correct that the 2930 is what I need. However, I'm attaching pictures of a black plastic piece I am needing for one side of my window. The one pictured with the window out of the frame is the black piece needed that is still intact. The other side of this windows black plastic piece is broken and that's the side I need it for. Do you by chance know what this piece is called and if you carry them? I also attached a picture of a working window in the frame with the way the channel balance sits on the black plastic piece. When I order the channel balance, is there anything else I would need to order besides that and the black plastic piece you may be able to identify to complete the fix? Thanks so much for your time and help with this. :)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Working window.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Black plastic piece 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Black plastic piece 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Black plastic piece 4.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

It looks like this Top Sash Guide might be our 18-193 pair, but look over the dimensions to see if it matches your undamaged version to be safe. No, other than the balances (either the S380-30 or S385-30, depending on which has a closer shoe depth) and sash guides, you won't need anything else for installation besides any tools both videos above recommended. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you so much for your help and your time. I greatly appreciate it. You guys provide a great service!
Profile picture of Bob

My pleasure! Glad we could be of help. Let us know if you have any other questions, and many thanks for your business; we appreciate it.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.