Channel Balance Problems

A quick learner from Blairsville, GA says:
Just bought a house Which is about 10 years old. I have 10 channel balances that are broken and need to be replaced. They are both left & right sides. I found a patent number: 5737.877 on the white plastic component. The pin on the window edge is rounded and has like a head on it. The concept is strings hooked onto a holder, hooked onto a spring, which encloses a rod, & then goes to a shoe or black pivot device. I want to replace all of my channel balances (probably 20). But, what's on there now is so fragile and prone to breaking, that I'd like to find something else to replace these with. I have used your model 770 channel balances in a former house successfully. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate!
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Continuing my information search, I came across the Crossbow S850 balance which looks exactly like my damaged ones. I'm going to put more info here on my own post. I've included several pics here showing the mangled top plastic piece from one of my balances. There are others too that show the same problem. Compared with the S770 (which I have personally used, design of this S850 is flawed. This provides no protection of the plastic pieces & cords that slide up and down the sash. Compare this with the S770 that has a U-shape cover providing adequate protection for the moving components.

If there is way to substitute another model for the flawed S850, I'd really like to know about it. I'm about to replace every one of my balances (18 total) because 9 are damaged. That's not a good record. Pictures tell the story: mangled plastic parts and broken cords. Manufacturers should take note and provide designs of window components that are durable, such as the S770. Your thoughts.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I agree, this looks like our Series 850 balance. It could be possible to replace it with our Series 795 channel balance, though you would need to determine the width of the shoe, the length of the metal channel, and the weight of the sash. You would need an unbroken Series 850 balance to use as reference.

Still have not heard back from anyone re my latest queries from 10/5 and earlier. It was a simple request to measure the S-795 pivot shoe footer width and let me know. With no response, I ordered 2 S795-24 balances, and of course, they were too wide. Total Waste of money! It appears I'll have to use the S-850 balances after all. Not pleased at this point.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I apologize for the inconvenience. I'm afraid we never got a response from you on the 5th. That said, we show that the Series 795 comes with the 15-195 shoe, for which we have detailed dimensions on its respective store page. We also sell the smaller 15-194 separately, which is 15/16" wide. I'm still not sure what the width of your shoe is, but if it's closer to that you can just snap the 15-195 off the Series 795 you purchased and snap on the 15-194.
Sorry you did not get the earlier response - Beginning to get concerned. Thanks for the response. It would have helped to know that the S795 Pivot Shoe pops out and can be replaced with a 15-194 - Glad to know that now.

Please see the attached JPG files of my existing S850 Pivot Shoe and Channel Balance. Re the S795 Balance, Yes, the 15-194 Pivot Shoe should work very nicely. Don't you have S795 made up already with the 15-194 shoe already installed? That would save me having to purchase the shoe separately and throwing away the old ones?. This is going to be a full replacement order for me - probably 32 balances, shoes, and pivot bars. Can you help?

I would have to replace the Pivot Bars with the 26-021 which is a good fit for my window and the 15-194 shoe. Parting out the the existing damaged 850s with more 850s is only delaying the inevitable for more problems to develop. It appears the 795 is a good solution in terms of durability. I'm probably going to replace all of the existing Balances, Shoes, and Pivot Bars. Appreciate your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We don't have the Series 795 made up with this shoe already installed, but we can make it a custom order. Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds. It basically sums up to me sending you a special link that lets you add the unique balance to your cart as if it were any other balance. I'll email you a custom order link for 32 of these right now, as a matter of fact. If you'd like to make any changes, let me know and I'd be happy to do so.
A quick learner from Blairsville, ga says:
Tom,
Thanks for the help, but I'm going to need a mixture of the S795 banacces - not all of them will be S795-24B, but all will need the 15-194 Pivot Shoe as follows:
(2) S795-22B;
(4) S795-20B;
(18) S795-24B;
(8) S785-24C.

Can you mix the lengths, and weight ratings to accommodate that order?

In addition, my order needs to include (32) 26-021 Pivot Bars And, a 75-069 Jamb Spreader. Can I separately add additional items myself to my ""SpecialOrder" cart/basket?

Right now we are on a trip and won't be back until Monday, the 31st, so I need to wait until we return to place the order, but can you get that on a "Special Order" for me? The S795 balances with the 15-194 Pivot Shoes, and the 26-021 Pivot Bars should take care of my needing to replace the balances, shoes, and bars for all my windows.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You got it! I'll send you the appropriate custom links immediately.

Once you get these links, you can add the custom balances to your cart and continue shopping for standard parts as normal.

Tom,

OK - got it all ordered and from an earlier order went ahead and installed two S795-24B Balances, pivot shoes, and pivot bars. When the order comes in, I'm doing all our windows with the S795, and associated Pivot Shoes and Bars. 

How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.