Channel Balancers for Milestone Single Hung Series 1000 Windows

A quick learner from Naples FL says:
Stamped on one of the balancers is 28B USB. Could also be 283 USB.
OPL Listing #16742-1C (If this means anything to you)
Are the size of the balancers needed also determined by the weight of the windows?

I need a total of 8 balancers for three different size windows, two of which are the same. All are single hung windows, which were manufactured by Florida Extruders International, Inc. from Sanford FL. (They went into Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in May of 2011.
One window is 70 1/2" high with the moveable window being 31 1/2" high by 51 1/4" wide. It is very heavy.
The second window is 24" high with the moveable window being 13" high by 51 1/4" wide.
The last two windows are 70 1/2" high with the moveable window being 31 1/2" high by 17 3/4" wide.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us. We may be able to help, but we'll need more detailed information. Specifically, we need you to remove the balances out of the windows and show us photos of the top and bottom nylon fittings. Those are what we use to identify the Series. There are no numbers or stamps that tell us what nylon fitting combination you have, so the only way to know is to see them. 

While the balances are out, I'd also like you to measure the length of the metal channel to be 100% sure. Finally, if each sash is a different size and weight, then we'll need the stamp off each and every balance. They will likely be different, since stamps indicate the calibration of the spring.

Concerning the Series, if the combination of nylon fittings for each balance is identical across the board, you only need to show us photos from one balance. If any differ, though, then we'll have to go window-by-window.

You may find the video below helpful. It outlines the process we use to identify the right balance.

A quick learner from Naples FL says:

Regarding my Reference Number D 158971.

Included, please find pics of the channel balancers I need a price quote for.

• I need four of the 29 inch long balancers, measured from metal ends only. The number stamped on the balancers is 28B USB.
  • I need two of the 29 inch long balancers, measured from metal ends only. The number stamped on these balancers is UB 28F.
  • And I need 2 of the 11 inch balancers measured from metal end to metal end also. The number stamped on these balancers is 10-E-50 USB.

I am not sure, but I believe the UB 28F is for a very heavy impact glass window in our bedroom. This window measures 31 1/2 " high by 51 1/4" wide. This is the moveable window size.

Those stamped 28B USB I believe are for smaller impact windows in our kitchen, which measure 31 1/2" high by 17 3/4" wide. This is the moveable window size.

Can you please verify that those stamped UB 28F are for the much heavier impact glass window in our bedroom as opposed to the same size balancers in our kitchen, which are stamped 28B USB?

Thank you for your help,

Tony

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200117_135153647.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200117_135358249.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200117_135334090.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! Your photos and information are a huge help. It looks like you have an older style balance that isn't made anymore, but I believe that our S380-29 can be used to replace the first two sizes. This comes with a 19-005 top and 15-005 bottom nylon fitting. Note that the 15-005 is 1" deep. This is an important dimension to check ahead of time. If yours is anything but 1" deep, please let me know.

As for the stamps, your 28B traditionally matches our modern 2820 (for sashes weighing 12 through 16 pounds) while your 28F matches our 2860 (for sashes weighing 32 through 35 pounds). I highly recommend weighing your sashes on a scale to ensure they fall in those respective weight ranges. That will give you peace of mind. Stamps and codes and whatever else may change, but hard data doesn't lie.

As for the 11" balance, the same principles apply. The only issue is that our corresponding option--1050--is not standard. We will have to supply this as a custom order. What I will do now is email you an order link and price quote for 2 of them right now. This will allow you to add them to your cart as if it were a normal product. You can then shop for the other sizes you need as normal.

Since custom orders cannot be returned for a refund, I would just make 100% sure that you have our Series 380 balance. This has a 1/2" wide metal channel and a bottom shoe depth of 1". I know that our nylon fittings are a slightly different style than yours, but as long as they're the same size then they should work the same way. Those minor stylistic differences don't have any impact on function.

If your nylon fittings differ in any way, let me know and I can figure it out from there.

How to identify a replacement channel balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.