Channel Balances

A quick learner from Boston says:
Hello,
Due to lack of stock, some of the channel balances meant to support lighter windows are out of stock. If I purchase ones that are meant for heavier windows, will it have any negative impact? For example, getting the 2550 instead of 2530, will that be a problem?
I attached pictures of two channel balance I have on two separate windows. Based on length, they look to be series 351. However, they seem to be slightly different when it comes to the tops and bottoms. The one that has slightly more whiter color has numbering 2620 B. If I buy a 2550, I assume that should work?
Thanks,
Manfei
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0507.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0506.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0504.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0505.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Is the metal channel, not including the nylon fittings, 27" long? If so, then you need either the S351-27 or S390-27. The only difference between these two balances is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, or the 'heel-to-toe' measurement. The picture below depicts this difference. 

If you have 26" long metal channels, then you'd want either the S351-26 or S390-26

You'll want to stick with the stamp options on the metal channels. Otherwise, the new balances will prove too strong or too weak for your window to function correctly. Unfortunately our supply chains have been a bit slower than usual this year, but these balances have been gradually trickling back into stock, so I don't believe you would need to wait long. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Hi Bob,
Thanks for letting me know about the heavier or lighter channels. I'll wait for the right one to get in stock then.
Quick question about the channel that I have that has a marking of 2620 B marking. Do you know what that is? I couldn't find a channel balance with that marking on the website.
Thanks,
Manfei
Profile picture of Bob

That stamp code just conforms to a stamp option of 2620; the B at the end is likely just some part of an old manufacturer code that isn't relevant for identification. The most important thing here is that 2620, usually seen on a 27" balance like the S380-27 or S385-27, indicates the balance is calibrated to support a weight range of 9 through 13 lbs. Hope that makes sense. 

That's a bit strange since the balance I'm looking at is only 26 inches. And the shoes and tops don't look to have wings and it doesn't feel like the wings were sawed off either. So it has the marking that matches an S380-27 / S385-27, but in reality has tops/bottoms that match S351 and is only 26 inches.
Profile picture of Bob

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the Series 380 or Series 385 as examples. The S351-27 or S390-27 also can use the 2620 as a stamp option. Now, the more pressing issue is that the metal channels are only 26" long, not 27" long. What likely happened is that whoever installed the windows cut the balances down to size to fit your windows. You'll need to obtain the exact weight of the window sash. That exact weight can tell you what stamp option to select for the 26" long balances.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.