Channel Balances missing in my window!

A home owner from USA says:
Hello,
Was wondering if you might be able to help match up a couple channel balances. Unfortunately, the window was broken into, and the channel balances are no where to be found. I've attached a couple photos I took the other day. This is all I have, and now am 500 miles away. I?m willing to take a chance if you have a pretty good guess of a match with the info I have.
Hope you can help.
Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2DwtQj-qyb3xZLl1ZJkDy71M-o4fEG2WHg.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B1cF0hJM5I1lEzZQeRckIrSezRGw76Y-KA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named vxNloTKCuW2JyTRCEr-dJNV2KxzszjUMNg.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear about the break-in! Fortunately, we can help. Based on these photos, and especially that top sash guide in your second photo, I believe you have an Alpine window. Our Series 395 balance just so happened to be popular with Alpine. Now, there's no way to be 100% sure without the old hardware, but this is a good bet. I'm confident this will work.

The only issue here is what size and strength balance will work. There are a couple of ways to determine this information. The first and easiest is to simply see if you have an identical window elsewhere in the house that still has its hardware. This would also let you confirm if the Series 395 is a match beyond any shadow of a doubt. Failing that, give me the height of the visible glass and the weight of the sash. We can use this information to calculate the size and strength, respectively.

A home owner from Napa, CA says:
Thanks Paul,
Based on my photos, I'd guess the height of the visible glass was about 21" or so. They weren't real high end, and didn't weigh an awful lot, maybe 5-10 lbs. at the most. I bought them at Lowe's about 15 years ago, and vaguely remember the salesman tell me that Pella bought Viking windows and put their name on them.
Hope the extra info helps, rather than muddy the waters.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, a guess will not suffice in this case. We will need the exact height of the visible portion of the glass and the exact weight of the sash, if possible. Since you don't have the original balances, it's important that we are as precise as possible.

A home owner from Napa, CA says:

Attached are a few more photos of a balance from another window (replaced at the same time, but not the same size) to help solve the mystery. The visible height of the glass is 22". It weighs 12 lbs. 

What d'ya think?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E99A66D8-0C32-4167-AD7B-9D1885448AB7.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us! Paul's out today but I think I can help. That bottom shoe you're showing us is actually off a specially made balance. The bad news is, our Series 395 cannot replace it. The good news is, we can make a balance that can.

Before we get started, I'd like to clear up a few things. First, can you confirm that these two windows are the same, other than size? Since this balance is specially made, it cannot be returned for a refund. I want to be 100% sure we get you what you need. If the windows are identical (other than size), then I feel it's safe to assume that the balances they used are the same style. 

Next, assuming the balances are the same, I would like you to show me a picture of the metal clip at the end of the cord on the balance you do have. That's a small but important feature that will clear up a lot.

Finally, please tell me how many you need. I assume you only need two for this window but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask, just to be sure. Once we have the requested information, we will calculate the size and strength thanks to your very helpful information and email you a special order link for the quantity you need.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.