Channel balance

A home owner from Merritt Island Florida says:

I Believe these are S351 channel balances they're stamped 16B but when you measure from metal edge to metal edge I get 17 inches so I don't know which size on the option chart 16 inch or 17 inch. I am the homeowner bought these in 2003 when we built the house I have other windows that are 23 27 28 with some having a B or a C after the number so I'll be ordering others I just need to get a reference on the numbers that are punched on the side of the balance to whether or not I use that for my length or the measurement from metal edge to metal edge I'm doing the stuff myself handy I know some people would probably hire somebody but I'm able to do this myself thanks for your help

Wayne

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Wayne. I may be wrong, but to me your balance looks more like our S800-17. Look it over and let us know what you think. if everything matches up, then you can go with the 16B option. 

A quick learner from MI,Fl. says:

Hello Paul thank you for that information I agree those are the 800 I am little curious to why one side of the window would have a 16 A the other side of the window channel balance would have a 16 B and in some cases 16 C in the same window wouldnt that make the window go up and down crooked because one springs heavier than the other I'm finding that to be the case on a lot of these windows I'm making a list of different numbers from different channel balances throughout am going to replace them all. I also saw in one of the instructional videos that I should probably weigh the sash to find out exactly what channel balance weight I should order I don't believe I can go by what Is used because it looks like they may have rob from Peter to pay Paul on my install. Tks.

Wayne

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Wayne. Yes, weighing your windows to confirm what stamp option you need would be absolutely the best move in this case, since as you deduced the stamp codes on your old balances are unreliable. Furthermore, not to go against Paul here, but under closer review of your pictures I actually doubt the Series 800 is what you need. Can you measure the width of your old balance's metal channel? If it's 9/16" or 1/2", then you need either our Series 351 or Series 390. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' or heel-to-toe measurement of the bottom nylon shoe, so compare both Series with your old hardware to see what matches best. Let me know what you find.

A handy person from Merritt Isn't says:
Hi Bob.
Thanks for that information. I have measured the channel balance and it is 5/8 wide Pictured the window track locks to be 3/4. The shoe length is 1-1/8 pictured. So that would mean these balance are 390 CB right? . I'm also having some bad clouding on some of my windows do you guys have replacement glass panels? I also want to get new weather stripping for the bottoms of the sash do you sell that by the piece or can you buy a roll and cut to length? Tks
Wayne
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Wayne. Yes, if the shoe depth is 1-1/8" then this looks like an S390-17. Once you know the exact weight of your window sash, you can match that weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each stamp option on the shop page to figure out what stamp option you need. 

As far as fogging windows, it's possible the mold of the window itself is cracked. I'm afraid we can't replace this nor glass panels. But if you contact your local glass shop, they should be able to help you out. We can indeed replace weatherstripping; we'll just need you to remove a sample and show us its 'end profile'. That cross-section view is what we need to identify possible replacements. Many thanks.

A handy person from Merritt Island says:

Hello Bob

I have enclosed a picture of my window stripping across the bottom it looks as though they've cut the stripping to Short and I have like a 1 inch gap at each end on the window ends and there's a lot of dirt on each of the window edges. Because of the short strip on each edge when the Air condition is running I can definitely feel the air coming in from outside I don't think my installer did a very good job at cutting the strips its almost like they're cut for a smaller size window sash. Thanks for your time again.

Wayne

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 724C8E6C-420E-432B-9D0B-01EB98285DB6.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey, Wayne. It definitely sounds like the weatherstripping is too short. There are two possible replacements for what you're showing here: either our our 58-171 or 58-182, depending on the width of the "T" strip that slides into the frame. Look them over and see what you think.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.