Channel balance not working with take out clip

A quick learner from Fallbrook says:
I have couple of vertically sliding windows that I can't get out. The problems is, when I slide the sash up, the channel balance knocks the the take-out clip out of the jamb on both sides. What can I do to remove the sash?

Thanks, Jay
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Jay. That's definitely a problem. Those take out clips should remain out once you pop them out. Is there any way you can get them to remain out, or are they just loose?

If the take out clips aren't working, then my first suggestion would be to replace them. The 16-002 is a common choice, but it's not the only take out clip out there. Look it over to see if it's a good match.

The problem is not that they don't remain out, they do. The problems is that the channel balance pops them out of the jamb completely and they end up on the floor. The channel balances send the clips flying and the balances are still in the sash. Any help?
Thanks, Jay
Profile picture of Tom

I have no idea why that may be happening. The only two explanations that makes sense are that the take out clips are broken or the frame in which they install are broken. I recommend carefully looking over the take out clips and where they install to look for visible damage to determine which one it is.

If the take out clips are broken, then replacing them should be a simple matter. If the frame is broken, though, then you're in some trouble. You would need an all new jamb liner from the window manufacturer.

I finally got the sash out. Somehow, the balance was stuck in the channel. I took a piece of 3/8" doweling that went from the top of the balance (window closed) to the head jamb. With it in place, I force the window open and the balance broke loose. I then sprayed some silicon on it and it works fine.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome! I'm glad you got it working again. 

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.