Channels need to be replaced.

A landlord from Titusville says:
After a lot of jerking around, I finally got these two channels away from the window. I'm not sure how they'll go back in, but I trust you can help with some good instructions. Your video clip looks neat but I don't have that little latch on the inside of the frame used to help get the channel out.

Mine are marked: 29930F and 29930H crossways it's marked B.S.I.

Channel Balance
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
I have a video I believe may help you with your current project. Take a look below at our video on how to replace a window sash channel balance.
The video doesn't help much because I don't have take out clips on my window. Now what?
A landlord from titusville says:
I sent you my numbers but you didn't say if you carry this model:

29930F
29930H

Please respond
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The balance you need is S390-30 with a spring weight option of "2930." You show the stamp number in the photo as "2930." It doesn't look like "29930" to me. May we see a photo of the track near the top where a take out clip, 16-002, should be? I'm curious why yours were missing.
Here are some more pictures. These are from a smaller window but same make. First pic show channel which has come loose. A hook at the top of the frame likely has something to do with removal. Other pics show inside of window with channel removed. Plastic rectangle at top of window looks like it holds channels in place. Please let me know what I need for correctly installing the channels.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! That looks like our 16-028, just a little bent out of shape. Look over our measurements and information for this part and see what you think. Thing is, this isn't usually used as a take out clip. It looks like yours is. I wonder if these were installed as a last-ditch effort by whoever put these in. It's very odd for a window like yours to have no take out clips whatsoever. It's possible whoever installed your windows was in a pinch to get the job done and just used whatever was on hand. Happens all the time.

You could also always just install a screw in the jamb as a temporary measure. The balance will catch it when you raise the window, and the sash will come out as normal. Of course, this is just a temporary measure. You'd want to remove the screw after everything is reinstalled, otherwise the sash will come out every time you open the window.
Paul
Tried the screw idea. Looked like it might work but have run into this situation....see pics. Balance not caught by plastic thing on top of window--either side. Doesn't look like the plastic keeper is broken. What do you suppose is happening and how to fix?

Also, old channels and new ones look pretty much the same.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Does your top sash guide look like our 18-168? If not, please send us a photo of it. This is the type of Yale Ogron window uses on their sash guide to lock the balance in place to the sash.
HI Paul
Yes, it appears I have the Yale Ogron keepers at the top of each window. I measured and they measure the same as the reference picture you sent me. Mine don't look broken or worn but why do the channels want to scoot past them? Some of the channels have already worked their way past, but a couple are sitting snugly against the window. I'm really confused. Have any other ideas?

Thanks
George
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Paul
Yes, the Yale Ogron sash guide is what I have and the broken or worn ones have let the channels slip by them. (Sorry for some of my confusion in last message but my windows are in such bad condition, I didn't know what "correctly installed" is supposed to look like.

Last issue for me is color. I'd like to have my future orders in bronze or brown if you have these. I'll check your site. In particular, the sash guides will look much better if they'r not white. Thanks again for all your help. I'm really getting good at getting these windows in and out with new hardware!
George
Profile picture of Paul
I honestly don't understand why your windows have so much play, since they have been in the house for some time now. Usually, this type of window doesn't spread like this. There may be some other issue at work. You may need a local professional to come out and look at it.

As for the top vent bracket, it looks like our 18-168. We do not currently have them in black but we'd be happy to have that color made up for you. Please give us a little time as we work on that and I'll let you know when it becomes available.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks again for waiting! Our 18-168 is now available in black.
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.