Close but no cigar

A home owner from Daytona Beach FL says:

Hello! I was so happy to find what I thought was the perfect replacement handle for my almost 30 year old sliding glass door. My handle was by ALENCO out of Texas, I can't find that they are still around. I ordered your Item # 82-005...it arrived...it looked perfect...but alas, it is not the same size as the one it was to replace. The thickness is just enough different that when I installed it, the latch would not hit the strike on my door frame. The part of my original that is broken is really just the "guts" the latch won't latch any longer. Can I order just new "guts" for my existing one? I thought about trying to take the guts out of the one that doesn't fit, but thought I'd ask first about ordering just the latch mechanism, not the whole new handle and screws, ets. for $30. Any insight is appreciated. I have attached two pictures showing the old and new handles side by side, in hopes that it helps you see my issue. Thank you!! Kris

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3171.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3172.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

There's a few options here. One is to try and pack out the 82-005 to make up the difference, or moving the keeper if there's room to do so. However, you also could see if our 82-225 can do the job. This is the internal lock within the 82-005; see if this matches what's in your old handle set. If you need to return the 82-005, see our Return Policy here.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.