Coil Balance

A quick learner says:
We are trying to figure out which pivot shoes and coil balance type this is in order to replace it. Our cheap windows do not have a cut out and we don't currently have a jam spreader to easily take it out and see any numbers.

The only thing I saw (in photo attached) was the 6R on the piece screwed in above the coil balance.

Our issue is the window has become like a guillotine, so it will not stay open.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Spring Pivot.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This balance looks like a good match for our Series 140 coil balance style; since your stamp reads "6," I specifically recommend the S140-6.

I also personally recommend making a cutout instead of buying jamb spreaders. Jamb spreaders are pretty pricey and it may be overkill for just a one-and-done kinda project. Making a cutout is pretty simple and will save you a lot of money in the long run, but since you're working with a blade you just have to be careful. Make sure to wear safety gloves and keep a steady grip. The video below will go into more detail as to what you have to do, exactly.

A quick learner says:
Thank you for the information and links to product.

In the photo I sent, where you see the 6R stamped, this is a separate piece screwed into the frame and were not sure what function this has as its static or perhaps its intended to not allow the window to move beyond this point? Oddly, both sides are stamped with the 6R on this piece. I'm guessing this is a mistake?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The part stamped with "6R" is the spring cover. That keeps the coil spring in place while it extends and retracts with the operation of the window. The reason your coil spring appears to be separated from it is because it is broken; when these coils break, they get all unsprung and form separate, broken loops. One of these loops is probably still under the cover. I can even see a little snapped off piece of the coil peeking out from underneath it in your photo.

As for both sides being stamped with an "R," that probably is a mistake, yes. One side should be right and the other, left.

A quick learner says:
Thank you! Now we see how these are supposed to work and look.
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.