Coil Balance ID

A quick learner from Massachusetts says:
I need two of these. They broke on both sides of the window
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Looks like you may just need a new coil balance. See our Series 152 for my recommendation. As long as the shoe and cover are in good condition then you can just reuse those.

Oh, I forgot to say that the shoe is broken on the other one (not shown in photo. Actually, on that one - the coil is fine, it's just the shoe). I'm a novice, I was wondering if it would be easier for me to just replace the whole unit. Is there a large difference in cost?

P.S., as far as the weight, the one I removed so far says (stamped on the coil): "5 K" Can I assume it's 5 for both sides? (I haven't removed the one with the broken shoe yet).

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. We actually don't sell these as complete assemblies, we only sell the components separately. If you do need a new shoe then that would be the 15-177. I'm very confident that that's what you need.

As for the weight, it's always going to be the same on both sides, yes. If one side says 5 then you can be confident that the other side will be the same.

Ok thanks. final question. I can get the complete assembly online from another company. But they only have either 7/8 or 8/8 in stock. My window's coil is a 5. Can I use the 8 in place of the 5?

Or - do you have a video that shows me how to order the parts from you and reassemble the assembly from what I've got now. It just doesn't look obvious to me how these whole thing comes apart and is put back together.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

No, I don't think you could use the 8 pound spring and still let your window function. Consider this: if you have a single 5 pound spring on each side of your window, then your sash likely weighs 10 pounds. If you use an 8 pound spring in each case instead, then you'd be applying 18 pounds of spring pressure to a 10 pound sash. In a best case scenario, the sash would be incredibly hard to close; in a worst case scenario, it would open on its own after you walk away.

These are very precise systems and you want the support range to match the weight of the sash as precisely as you can get it.

As for ordering from us, it's very easy. You just add the product to your cart from the store page I linked you to above, then click "checkout" at the upper right corner of the page. 

We don't have a video on reassembling the balance components but the spring just fits into the slots you see in the shoe and is then secured with a screw. There is an older video on how to install a similar assembly in the window once it's put together. It's not exactly the same style as yours but it works in more or less the same way. You may find it helpful.

No, it's a double spring system as shown in the photo. Part of the second coil broke off. So, there are two coils screwed to the shoe (on each side of the window). One is marked 5 and I can't see what the other one is marked. Does that mean it's 10 on each side? So, if I order the 8 - it wouldn't be enough for the weight of the window? Or if I order just the coils from you, I would order two 5's and seat them on top of each other in the assembly? Sorry to gone on and on about this but it is confusing to someone that doesn't deal with this all of the time.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. You'd still run into a similar problem, then, just on the opposite side of the spectrum. Regardless of how many springs you're using on each side, the fact remains that if you don't have the same weight support as before then they will not work properly. If they are too strong then your window will be hard to close, and if they are too weak then it will be hard to open. Think of it like Goldilock's porridge.

The long and short of it is: if you have 5 pound springs now, stick with 5 pounds. Trying to use different parts will just cause you problems in the end. It's not worth the convenience since you'd only end up having to return the hardware for working improperly.

I can't say for sure if all four springs in your window are 5 pounds. There is a good chance that they are but you should check to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.