Coil Balance Replacement

A quick learner from Brooklyn, NY says:
Hi, I've never had to replace something like this before and I don't even know where to start. Last night, when I lifted the bottom sash of a double hung window in my apartment, it make a loud snapping sound, and now it won't stay up any longer. I took pictures of the right side of the frame but the left side looks exactly the same (coil sticking out from the top part, coil rolled up at the bottom).

I was reading up on coil balances and have a bit of an idea how this all works now but I don't understand why there is a coil at the bottom of the sash. Can you tell me if this is broken? My guess is the coil snapped? And if so, what part number I'd need to order to replace? I don't know the window manufacturer because I'm in a rental, and my landlord is a piece of work, so I don't want to even bother asking.

Thank you!

Christina
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211103_214856.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211103_221824.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Christina. I'd be happy to help. I do agree it's likely the coil balance assembly snapped. The video below shows how to remove and replace coil balance systems and will give you a general idea of how to remove your components for a better look. Does the pivot shoe resemble, that nylon block at the bottom from which the window can tilt inward, resemble our 15-215? If so, you can just use all new S140-9 9 pound Coil Balance assemblies. Let me know if you have further questions. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.