Coil Spring System

A quick learner from Pittsburgh, PA says:

I have what appears to be a broken coil spring assembly, where the coil broke from the rest of the coil in the housing. This is on a Traco window. The side of the housing has '38B' written on it if that helps. This one is form the left side but the right side is broken as well. Would you have anything that would fit my window?

Thank you,

Rick 

Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Hi Rick, thank you for posting,

Your balance assembly resembles the 15-087 pivot shoe that is compatible with the Series 180 coil springs. Please review the dimensions to confirm a good fit and let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Detail of 15-087
Detail of 15-087
Thank you! That is the exact measurements. So I have to order two of these plus 2 of the series 180 coil springs. Do they come with instructions on how to attach the coil spring inside? I also have a few more questions:

The coil springs page asks me for a sash weight. My spring has '7#' on it so I assume the is the sash weight I need?

I have other windows that need the assembly replaced as well, but they are heavier windows. I would assume the coil on those has the sash weight imprinted as well? If not, how would I tell? Also, would the pivot shoe for the other windows be the same size as this one?

Please advise, and thank you again for your reply.

Regards,
Rick

Hi Rick,

If the coil is stamped with a #7, it should indicate that the window sash weighs 14 pounds, so you would use (1) S180-7 coil on each side of the window sash. To confirm this, you can weigh the sash on a bathroom scale. 

For the heavier window, you may have the same pivot shoe, but it is possible it could be a different style. You will need to remove the window sash to confirm. If the coils are not stamped, weigh the window sash and divide by the amount of coils in the window to determine the proper coil weight needed. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

I have included an installation diagram below. Please note that the 15-086 housing is only needed if there is a double coil setup in the heavier windows. 

Series 180 coil balance diagram
Series 180 coil balance diagram

Thank you Lauren, I pulled the sash from the bigger window and I believe I have a broken tandem coil housing (15-086), as you can see in the picture, The coil springs on both housings are all in one piece, (#5 in the 15-087 pivot shoe and #6 in the broken tandem). So it seems that all I need for my bigger window is the tandem housing 15-086, as the pivot shoe and coil springs are intact.

So I assume I just open up the new tandem housing, place the #6 coil in it, then slide it on top of the pivot shoe? Also, I would assume that both the #5 and #6 coils latch onto the mounting bracket? Also, would you happen to have any brackets that look like the pones n the picture, or do you just have the 16-024 brackets?

Please advise.

Hello,

Yes, if the coil is still in working order, you would just need to purchase the 15-086 housing and switch out the coil which connects to the pivot shoe. 

We do not offer your exact bracket. The two we offer are the 16-024 and 16-031 brackets that will work with the Series 180 coil springs. Both coils would latch onto the bracket. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Thank you Lauren!

No problem! 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.