Coil Support Springs in a 'Cardinal' brand window, mfgr.Bridgeton MO (circa 1992)

A handy person from Eldon MO says:
I am having difficulty removing the spring housing/vinyl cover from inside track of window frame. Cannot tell if there were one or two springs inside. Springs came out in broken pieces. Both sides need to be replaced. Need help choosing coil spring type/ # of springs to order. Your Series 165 stainless steel spring looks to be the exact width and type. Maybe you can advise me further. I will be ordering extra to have on hand.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that those stickers don't tell us anything about your windows or what balances they use. Can you show us a photo of the balance itself? That would be a big help. In the meantime, see our video below. This may offer some insight on how this hardware works.

A quick learner from Eldon MO says:
Thank you for your amazingly prompt response!! I hope these will help. The top fastener/release is also broken. I tried to show the balance and the wear directly behind where balance springs were located. I'm wondering how to remove that cover to replace springs without cover or glide channel breakage. Also how many springs are evidenced on each side?
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! Okay, we're getting there. These pictures are a big help. I can narrow your spring down to either our Series 160 (1/2" thick) or Series 165 (3/8" thick). Measure the thickness of your spring to determine the better match. The only question after that is to determine which option would be best. I'll go over that a little later in this post, since it's a little complicated; let's address your other questions first.

Looks like your window used 4 springs on each side. This means that your cover is very tall. I can understand now why you were having trouble removing this. Unfortunately, there's no real trick to getting this out of your window. You want to remove this through the same cutout that you used to remove your springs. If the cutout isn't big enough for your tall cover, you may need to cut it a little and make it tall enough. Review the video below for more info on how this can be done.

Hopefully you can open your cutout a little more, enough to remove the cover from the track. Let me know if this works out!
Now let's return to spring strength. Coil balances work a little differently from other balances in that you want to distribute the sash weight evenly between the springs used on your sash. If I'm right and you have 4 springs on each side, that's 8 springs in total that we need to account for. I highly recommend weighing your sash on a scale and then dividing its weight by 8. That should allow you to determine which Series 160 or Series 165 option you need.
Let's use an example. Say your spring is 3/8" thick, so you go with the Series 165 spring. Then you weigh your sash and get 24 pounds. You'd divide that by 8 and get 3, so you'd want to go with our S160-3 spring. Each of these carries 3 pounds, so all 8 of them working together should be perfect for your sash weight.
Let me know how that works out!
Profile picture of Tom

Oh, I almost forgot about your tilt latch. I can't tell exactly what you have from that photo but it's very similar to our 26-243 and 26-244. Remove an undamaged version of your latch from the window and carefully compare it to the dimensions and pictures we show. I think there's a good chance they'll match up.

These will hopefully fill in all the gaps. This is a learning process for sure. Anyway I don't think I need new pivot shoes, just the 2-1/2" pivot bars (#26-021) the coils, balance covers and left & right window tilt clips
Profile picture of Tom

Okay for your top tilt latches, use 26-243 and 26-244. See our video on removal and installation. For the triple coil springs, the pivot shoe will be 15-191,the triple cover will be 15-205 and for the 3/8" coil springs for a 20 lbs. sash, use two S165-3 and one S165-4 on each side of the window.

I just want to report that my problem window is 100% restored to full working order. All parts you recommended fit and performed perfectly. Your company is way beyond extraordinary. Tech help was awesome and very helpful. Needless to say, I highly commend and gratefully thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us with the great update! We're happy that we were able to help you out. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.