Coil balance for vinyl double hung window

A home owner from Ann Arbor MI says:
First photo is left balance unit in a window that works. Next 4 photos show right and them left in window that won?t stay open. Seems like there are 2 coils on each side but one on each side is disconnected. On left side there look like a half round metal clip. It is broken off on right side.
Windows are probably at least 20 years old and I don?t know manufacturer. Bought and installed through Sears. Sash is about 36 x 25.

What do I need to fix both sides?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I'm not sure exactly what's broken on your balance system, but it if it's just your coil springs then see our Series 180. I'm confident this is what you need. You'll have to get the number stamped on your existing springs to confirm what Series 180 option would be best.

If you need the other parts compatible with this spring, see our 15-087 pivot shoe/bottom housing, 15-086 top housing, and 16-024 bracket. 

I have removed the existing damaged balance and coils. On the balance holder is Pat. No. 5,353,548. Mechanism takes 2 coils on the one side with following info on them - Pat. No. 5,353,548. One coil has 446 35 and 6#; other coil has 466 35 and 6#. Coils have 2 round holes on the end.

Window weighed on bathroom scale is 25 lbs.

Appears that 6 lb 180 coil is what is needed - 2 on each side of window.

Also from your website additional items are 16-024 mounting bracket, 33-072. #8 x 3/8. ? SS pan head Phillips (for mounting bracket?), 15-086 Tandem coil housing and 15-087 coil housing pivot.

I?ve attached pictures of removed parts.

Does this seem to be what I need? I?ll be replacing both sides.

Gene H

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us. Looks like all your springs are stamped with "6#," which I believe is the most important number. This is the weight rating. The equivalent of this stamp would be our S180-6

If you use two springs per side, this will add up to 24 pounds of support. It's a pound less than your sash weight, but since your sash weight is an odd number this is probably as close as the installers could get. As long as your springs worked well in the past, then you can stick with this. 

Those other products you picked out are all related, yes, but keep in mind that you only need to replace those parts that have broken. You can reuse the rest.

Would it be a good idea to get the S180-7? That would total 28, three lbs over the sash weight. Could the coils have broken because the 6 lb was ?stressed? more because of the window weight?
Profile picture of Tom

Well, you don't want to go too strong, or else you'll find it difficult to close the sash. Personally speaking, I'd rather be one pound under weight than three pounds over. It's up to you.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.