Coil balance replacement for Simonton tilt window

Home Owner from Bolingbrook, IL
Sep 10, 2023 12:22 pm
I am in need of some coil replacement for my Simonton windows. They are 20 years old. I am not sure what type or size to purchase.
IMG_5240 IMG_5238 IMG_5236 IMG_5235 IMG_5237
5 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Sep 10, 2023 9:08 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting. This Simonton shoe resembles the Certainteed 15-192, which uses Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Balances. However, we've found the Certainteed parts have a lot of trouble fitting Simonton windows; the 'alignment nubs' on the face of the 15-192 have to be rubbed down for it to work, and even then it's no guarantee. 

Because of this problem, we've come up with an alternative solution. The 15-192, along with the Series 159 Coil Balances. We've tested this ourselves and it works, but we're still waiting for confirmation from customers who give it a shot. If you choose to do so, the video below runs you through the entire process. Take a look. 

Home Owner from Bolingbrook, IL
Sep 11, 2023 6:52 pm
Thank you for the information, what would you say is the spring weight that I should use? It looks like mine says 10J. According to the video they said to replace the pivot bars. What size do you recommend? Any other accessories that I would need to order?
IMG_5242
1 user uploaded images
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Sep 12, 2023 11:45 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

The best spring weight will depend on which of the two options I mentioned you're going to go with. If you want to use the Certainteed hardware, then that complicates matters; neither the Series 170 nor the Series 171 have a 10 pound option. Both cap out at 9 pounds. 

With that in mind you will need two double up on springs and use two 5 pound options to make up the difference. Specifically a S170-405 on the bottom and an S171-405 right on top of it. That also means you will need a second cover and bushing for the extra spring; see our 15-156 and 15-157, respectively.

If you're going with the alternative solution suggested in the video, then it's still a little complicated. Rather than full pound increments, these are only made in half pound increments; in other words, instead of a 10 pound spring, there's only 10.5. The 10.5 pounder might work but the springs may be a little too strong. You may want to get your sash weight just to be sure. It should be around 20 pounds; as long as it is then that should work fine.

As for the pivot bars, the video I linked to above suggested the 26-083 to use with the 15-259. It also lists all parts you'd need for this project.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts