Coil balance spring and cover

A home owner from Stow, Ohio says:
Hello,
I would like to order 4 balance springs with associated covers and balance drums. My windows weigh 12 lb and were manufactured by Graef of Youngstown, Ohio approx. 15 years ago (Graef is no longer in business). There were no markings on the springs or covers.

I would appreciate if you could provide part numbers and availability for the requested parts and any recommendations you may have. Many thanks!

Mike

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named svasta1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named svasta2.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there, Mike.

I'm afraid the components in your photos aren't made anymore. The best we can offer is the Series 140 Quick-Tilt Balance which is 9/16" thick and 1-1/4" wide. Compare the specifications with yours to see if you think you could adapt this to your window. If your window sash weighs 12 pounds, I would recommend the S140-6. A pair of these 6-pound assemblies will support a sash weighing 11-12.99 pounds. 

Looks like the S140-6 should work so I ordered them (L & R x 2). Many thanks for your help Emily!

Mike
Profile picture of Emily

That's great news, thank you! We really appreciate your business.

Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions.

Hello Emily,
I installed the S-140-6 coil spring assemblies on my windows and they are working great. The only issue that I had was that the pivot bars on my existing Graef windows is a hair wider than the pivot shoe in the S-140 would allow. I used a 1/4" dia drill bit to widen the new pivot shoe a bit to allow the window to be installed. I'm really pleased with your service and the way this job turned out. Thanks again!

Mike
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230403_133305.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Hi, Mike. That's great to hear! I'm so glad the repair went well. It was my pleasure to help, of course. If you have any future hardware questions, you know where to find us! 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.