Coil and shoe replacement parts for double hung windows

A home owner from Pittsburgh, PA says:

I need to replace the coils and shoes on my window. Each side has 2 5k coils and what looks to be the 15-177 shoe per the look and measurements. I don't have any of the coil barrels or caps to hide the coils when in the track. Are you able to let me know what other parts I need to complete the job, assuming that all parts are bad/ or missing? Also can I assume that the S152-5 coils can stack vertically on top of each other and screw into the show?

Thank you in advance for you support.

Seth

Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Take a look at the linked hardware to see if you'll need to purchase any of those in addition to the 15-177 and S152-5 coil.

If you are in need of the pivot bar, I'll need to see a photo of the hardware removed from the bottom of the window.

Let me know if you have any questions.

When I finished take the assembly apart the window has 2 coils on each side (4 total for the window), one was stamped with a 4k and the other with a 5k. They were both bronze in color, not silver. The 4k had a longer tongue and sat on top of the 5k. I purchased 4 S152?5 coils and the 15-177 balance shoes

(Order number: 2019244). It doesn't seem like they are designed to work together like the old assembly. When I went to look at other coils, the only bronze coils I could find with a longer tongue was the S-175-BM or BLs. When I reviewed the description, it looks like these coils work with a different shoe/carrier - 15-266 carrier. Are you able to help guide me to what I need to complete the replacement? Thank you in advance for your support, greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Seth

The coils are not identified by the color. We identify them based on the shape of the tip and width of them as well as the shoes that are compatible.

Were you able to compare and confirm the measurements of your shoe to the 15-177 prior to your purchase? If you have the 15-177, these parts will work with that shoe. Also, please note, you would need the S152-4 and the S152-5. Given that you have a 4lb balance and a 5lb balance on each side of the window, you should expect that the sash weighs 18lbs.

May I please see a photo of your original hardware, removed from the window?

Thank you for the response. The shoe is the correct size and works well. The S152-5 coils seem to be the correct coils for the bottom coil but not the top as it sits on top vertically and there is no way for the tongue to reach the shoe. I would need a 4k coil the same specs as the 5k just longer so that it can stack on top of the 5k without having to stretch it. Unfortunately, I cannot take a pic at this time (too cold to tear a separate window apart) as when I took them out, I did not save all of the pieces. Hopefully my response will provide enough detail to identify the additional needed to finish the job. Do they make a 4k coil with a longer tongue that would pair with the S153-5 coil?

Thanks again for all of your help/guidance!

Regards,

Seth

The number stamped on the coil directly relates to the amount of pounds that coil can support. Since you have the coils that are stamped with a 4 and a 5 (and its is likely your window weighs 18lbs, you will need the S152-4 and the S152-5, as recommended.

The previous coils appear to have a longer tongue but only because they've been stretched in that position for so many years. They do not make the Series 152 coils with a longer tongue, so you will need to use just a bit of force to stretch the coil to install it to the shoe. It might be somewhat difficult but it is possible; we've used these coils quite frequently and can say, with confidence, that they stack very well.

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I tried stretch and stopped as it was a little difficult and I did not want to jeopardize the integrity of the coil. Knowing that I can stretch them, I will proceed accordingly. One last question - am I able to use 2 5K coils versus a 4 and 5?

Regards,

Seth

We typically recommend sticking with the original hardware in the window. 

You should be okay with the two 5lb coils however, you should keep in mind that they would support a window with a weight of 20lbs. That amount of tension could cause issues with getting the window to close.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.