Corner sliding window lock

A home owner from Delray Beach, FL says:
I want to replace the lock on the corner sliding window with something more secure. To lock this I have to push the tab up...it seems that it could easily slide down and unlock. I would like something similar to the patio door handles/locks that I have, see photo #7. The patio doors have a 2 point mortise lock and they are very secure. What do you recommend? Thanks for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #4 Corner window width.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #5 Corner window lock.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #1 Corner window, outside.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #3 Corner window inside lock.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #7 Patio door inside lock.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I don't know what you're asking for, exactly. Did you want a new style mortise lock? If so, I don't think that will be possible. Your door is designed to use a single hook mortise; yours specifically looks like our 82-218. Cutting the hole to accept something larger would be a huge project and probably not worth the effort.

The reason I say that is because double hook mortise locks aren't really more secure. They work just as well as any other, honestly. If there is any scenario where a single hook mortise would simply fall down, then it would be due to a faulty spring inside the mechanism itself; that same fault can happen to a double hook mortise just as easily. 

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're basically looking to cut open a precisely sized hole in your door to use a lock that would offer only minimal additional benefit. I just don't think it's worth it. 

If I were you, I would stick with the mortise you have now. These are very, very common and work perfectly well in securing patio glass doors. If you have any doubts, you could look into an exterior security feature like the 80-006.

Thank you for your reply. I am disappointed that your advice is to keep what I have. The extra security feature you recommended, 80-006, would not work in my application because both of the 90 degree windows slide, one of which completely slides into a wall. I was hoping to find a lock like those on my big sliders where there is a handle and the lock is activated by a lever pushed in the down position.
Profile picture of Tom

If you want your mortise to activate by pushing down on the lever, instead of up, then you could probably just flip the mortise and keeper upside down.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I wanted to replace it with the type of handle and lock I have on my big sliders, which of your products would I use? I know I would have to enlarge the opening and my contractor says he knows how to do it.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #8 Patio door inside lock.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #9 Patio door strike plate.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named #10 Patio door lock.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

The mortise on the door you're showing here resembles our 82-265

Thank you. Would I also need 82-249 Multi point keeper? And what handle would you recommend that would work with the mortise 82-265?
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, the keeper is listed on the 82-265 store page under "Related Item(s)" as the 82-249. It is sold separately.

The handle you have on your door now should work fine with it. Any handle that works with the 82-218 can work with the 82-265. They work pretty much the same way.

Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate your help.
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.