Do I have to replace pivot shoes?

A handy person from Abingdon, MD says:
I will be replacing my spiral sashes with the S900-28 (both color tips for different size windows). I have two questions:

1. Do I have to replace the pivot shoes, or only if they're broken? If I have to replace them, would 15-045 be the right one (I have attached a picture because I wasn't able to remove the shoe at this time since I would have to cut an opening)?

2. The other picture attached are plastic pieces that fit into the channel to cover it. Do you offer these also? The long one is about 30" long by 1.5" wide (it is bent to that size and clips into the sash channel). The short one is a clip about 2" long by1.25" wide (it has clips on the back about 3/4" wide that clip into the sash channel at the top to hide the screw in the balance).

Thank you for your help.

Eric
A customer submitted photo of a window stop, cover, and pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Eric! You don't have to replace your pivot shoes when replacing your balances, but if they're older and have a lot of wear it might not be a bad idea.

That said, your pivot shoe looks very similar to our 15-046. Please take a look at that and see if you think it would work for you.

Furthermore, our 15-046 shoe usually goes with our Series 600 spiral balance, not our Series 900. If you do have a 15-046, please take a look at our S600-28 to see if that might better match your current balance.

As for the channel covers and stops, I'm afraid that we do not carry this type of hardware. You may want to check a local glass shop to see if they can help you out.
A handy person says:
Paul,
Thanks so much for your quick response. Your right, the 15-046 does look like a better match and after trying to measure the channel it looks like the right size.

As for the spiral sash, I measured the vinyl cylinder and they're definitely 3/8" (with a yellow tip). They are original "builder" windows from about 1991. Should I replace them with the 5/8" (S600) or keep the original size of 3/8" (S900)? As for the tip color I'm planning on using the red tip for the smaller windows (about 12-14 lbs.) and the green tip for the 3 bigger windows (couldn't weigh them but they're about twice the width of the smaller windows).

Again, thanks for the information and help. Once I replace mine I will definitely refer the neighbors here if they decide to fix theirs.

Eric
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Since the manufacturer used 3/8", I think you should stay with the S900. The colors you picked out should work.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.