Double Hung CertainTeed Tilt Window Coil Balance Replacement Parts Needed

Home Owner from Maryland
Jul 23, 2023 6:34 am
Following up on a recent conversation with a SWISCO service gentleman and sending more information on the coil balance replacement parts I am looking for to use on my CertainTeed double hung tilt window. Travel distance is 16" and window weight is 12 pounds. Only one coil balance is broken so unsure if it would be best to replace both just to have them match. Look forward to your guidance on what replacement parts I should order. Many thanks.
IMG_4277 IMG_4279 IMG_4278
3 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Jul 23, 2023 2:27 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello there. See our 15-192 Certainteed Pivot Shoe, as well as the S170-406 6 pound coil spring. In general you only need to replace what is broken with these coil balance systems; however, you also want to make sure you're using the same amount of spring strength on both sides of the window. So for instance, if your window weighs 12 pounds, you want a S170-406 6 pound spring on each side of the sash, to equal 12 pounds of support overall. Also keep in mind that using an older spring with a new one on the other side of the sash can cause both to wear out faster, so it may behoove you to replace the coil balances on both sides. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Home Owner from Maryland
Jul 24, 2023 7:01 pm
Many thanks to Bob for identifying the replacement parts I need. Just placed an order and expect all to go well with installing them. I would have struggled fixing my window if it was not for the SWISCO team's help.
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Jul 25, 2023 8:22 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

You're very welcome! I'm happy that I was able to help you.

Thank you for the purchase and please feel free to reach out if you needed anything else.

Quick Learner
Aug 2, 2023 12:04 pm
Is this pivot a 15-192 cause it doesn't look the same as the one you show?
Also is my coil balance a S 171 series ?
1 user uploaded images
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Aug 3, 2023 8:06 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

No, that's not the 15-192. That's the 15-180 pivot shoe, which is a different size and design and uses entirely different balance hardware. See our Series 190 spring, 15-181 double spring clip, and 15-182 bushing.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts