Double hung coil window balances

A home owner from Utah says:

I have two 17 1/4 x 71 3/8 double hung windows where many of the coil balances have broken. Each window has two single coils for one sash and two double coils for the second sash.

For the single coils, there is a stamp that appears to have "5K" on them. For the double coils, one spring has a "4K" and the other a "5K" (see picture).

The coils appear to be 1/2" wide with a diameter of 1 1/4". For replacing the coils I'm looking at is the "Series 152" (because of the size and the shape of the end of the spring (but that's just a guess).

With what I'm reading I need 8 coils to replace the "5K" coils and 4 coils to replace the "4K" ones.

Can you tell me the correct strength for the "4K" and "5K" coils from my photos?

I have other windows that will need repair in the future, but I'm starting with these two.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Adam

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image4.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Adam. I agree, I believe these our Series 152 Coil Balances. The other tell is the pivot shoe--I believe it's either the 15-177 or 15-175, and both use the Series 152 springs. Remember that the identity of the pivot shoe almost always tells us the identity of the coil springs needed. Now, for springs stamped 5, use S152-5 5 pound springs as replacements. For springs stamped 4, use S152-4 4 pound springs. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

A home owner from Utah says:
Thanks for the reply. I did not know if the K meant anything; I'll proceed with ordering replacement parts based what you've told me. I very much appreciate the help!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Fair point, and sorry for not clarifying--yes, with these balance stamps, the letters after the numbers are often irrelevant. Sometimes though, you'll get coil balances that have letters but no numbers, and in that case the letter needs to be translated to the appropriate weight (e.g., C might mean it's a 3 pound spring, D a 4 pounder, and so forth...). It's always best to check with us when you're uncertain. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.