Double-hung window tilt-out clip

A quick learner from Providence, RI says:
I rent an apartment where there are a number of double-hung aluminum windows that were installed in the 1970s, according to the property manager. On several windows, one or both of the clips that allow the lower pane of the window to be tilted into the apartment from the inside for cleaning have broken. This results in a slightly draftier apartment at times, and where both clips are broken, the lower pane sometimes falls into the apartment. I'm looking for the clip assembly. It is spring-loaded. Some of the broken clips are on the left side, and some are on the right. Replacing the clips appears to require a small amount of windows disassembly (removing the top portion of the frame). I'd be interested in ordering perhaps five of each of the left and right varieties.

I'm happy to provide more information if you can tell me what you need. It's an odd piece to try to describe or measure.

Thank you,
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Kyle! Your description was perfect. I think I have a good idea what you have.

These are known as internal tilt latches. Your finger level resembles our 26-002, while the inside latch itself resembles our 26-014. You may also need our 26-016 spring and 26-017 spring retainer.

Finally, if you need the tilts for the upper sash as well, see our 26-015.

Replacing them will require removing the top cap of the sash, as you suggested. It can be a little tricky if you've never done it before, so you may want the help of a local professional. Check out the guide below to get an idea of what is required.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
A quick learner from Providence, RI says:
That's it! Thank you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)