Flush Mounted Patio Sliding Door Handle Needs Exterior Lock and Handle

A quick learner from Florida says:
My current interior flush mount handle set seems to match your part #s 82-008 and 82-008K (dimensions match existing handle set exactly) but I have no slot on the exterior side. Is there a way I can add an exterior handle with lock that would work with 82-008 or 82-008K? If so, which part numbers do you suggest I order? I assume I would need to bore a hole on the exterior frame in order to accommodate the lock set. New interior and exterior parts are needed. Thx
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1529.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1530.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1528.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I am afraid we don't have any other option for an outside pull on the 82-008 and 82-008K other than what comes with the handle set itself. You would indeed need to cut a hole in the outside frame to install this lock properly, but even then I'm not sure if it would work, as your door's outside lock configuration looks pretty unique. Does this door lock with from a tooth that extends from a hole in the door and latches to a keeper on the door frame? If so, that's like our 82-008, and so it might work; but again, I can't make any guarantees. 

Yes, the outside lock configuration is "very unique". The previous owner simply surface mounted a lock and latch to the surface of the exterior door frame. Someone could easily pry the latch and/or lock off from the outside. The interior lock set is a typical flush mount lock and handle set and matches the dimensions of your part number 82-008K exactly. I want to remove the surface mounted lock and latch and add a handle with key to the exterior. To do so I need an exterior handle w/holes at 6 5/8 center to center. Additionally, the lock punch out must align with the interior lock mechanism of the 82-008K. Because this is a triple slider, the door frame is 2 5/8 deep. Can you point me to any exterior handle with key that would work with 82-008K? Or is my only other option to have someone cut a slot in my exterior frame to accommodate the flush mount handle/lock that comes with the 82-008K?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Sorry if I wasn't clear--no, the only outside pull we have that works with the 82-008K is the very pull that comes with it. There are no other options. But if this door is 2-5/8" thick, to be honest I have serious doubts that even our 82-008K will work. It's really meant for doors that are just 1". In some instances of a bigger door, we've been able to use washers to pack out the handle set, but in a case this extreme I just doubt that's going to work. 

Another option would be to scrap this entire setup and see if you could mount a handle set like the 82-005 to this door. This is a surface-mount handle set, where the lock is embedded within the inside pull. I think you might be able to do this, but the problem would be finding a way to cover up the hole for the original box set handle set. You'd also have an issue adapting a key lock to this handle. The 82-306 Keyed Outside Pull is compatible with the 82-005, but I just don't know if it's going to work with this door's thickness. Still, it may be our best option. 

I'm sorry we don't have anything closer here for your application.

I agree, this looks like my best option. The 82-005 appears to be large enough (7 1/4" H) to cover the existing interior hole. There is no slot on the outside so no issue there. If I then go with the 82-306 keyed outside pull, what issues might I run into? Again, my door thickness is 2 5/8". Would it just be an issue of finding longer compatible screws? Or would the lock mechanism not reach/work? What determines the maximum door thickness it can support?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Maybe I can help. While I think the surface-mount solution is possible, I'm wondering if the 82-002K Handle Set is actually what you had. Note that this flush handle set has the locking tooth a bit further down than the chrome one you were originally looking at. Check the door jamb. See if there are two vertical holes where a keeper might have been located. If so, this door might have used the 89-003 keeper, and if that's the case, you might be able to get the 82-002K to work here. It would take having long enough screws, and then packing out the tooth, so I can't guarantee it would work, but it's worth considering. See if there was space for a keeper originally. 

If not, the issue with the 82-306 is both having long enough screws, as well as I don't think the keytail is going to reach through the door, as it's max length is 2-1/4". 

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-002K sliding door handle key plug
How to install the 82-002K sliding door handle key plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.