Friction Shoe Replacement

A quick learner from Shawnee Kansas says:
I ordered and received a couple dozen of these for my 25 year old wooden double hung compression tilt windows. The original purple shoes had either their brittle hooks break and the spring retracted away, or the bottom hole where the tilt pin fits broke open from the bottom and the sash is not connected to the shoe and springs.

I originally planned to remove the sashes, remove the jamb liners, replace all the shoes and reconnect the springs. But after multiple painting and caulking over 25 years that has become the most difficult thing.

So, do you have advice or videos on how to replace the shoes, reconnect the springs, etc. WITHOUT removing the jamb liners like making cutouts in the tracks?

Thanks.

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. Generally, the most advisable way to replace the 15-104 shoe is to take apart the window--no easy task, even without layers of paint and caulk to contend with like what you're describing. 

There is one alternative method we can suggest that obviates the need to take apart the window; however, it's also tricky and if you do it wrong, you risk irrevocably damaging the jamb liners. If you're up for the challenge, get a heat gun or even a hair dryer, then heat up the track near where the old shoe is sitting. When the track becomes soft enough, you should be able to remove the old shoe and install the new one. If you choose this method, be extremely careful not to overheat and damage the track. If you damage the track, your window will no longer function.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.