Front Porch Window Balance Selection

A quick learner from Huntsville, AL says:
Good morning,
I feel pretty good about all of my selection details except for the strength. I can't remove my sash to weigh it. The sash is 36"x47" and aluminum, double paned. I'm hoping that gives you guys enough to help me select the Tip color. As it was before I destroyed the original balance, it required quite a bit of strength to lift the window and it just barely stayed in place.

I've attached (6) photos so you guys can also confirm my selection. I'm thinking: 36" SERIES 400 SPIRAL BALANCE
Product Code: S400-36

Thank you for your help,
Joseph
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3473.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3474.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3476.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3477.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3479.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Joseph. It does look like your spiral balance is 3/8" in diameter, so our S400-36 would be our best match. However, I can't use the window size alone to confirm the best strength option. You'll have to try to weigh your sash on a scale to determine how much its weighs, then refer to the chart we show on the S400-36 store page.

Tom,
Thank you for the quick response.
My window doesn't tilt and I don't see any way to remove the sash. There is a lot of overlap between the the different strength options. I'm thinking mine is on the heavy side. Any chance one would be a best guess...or...is there a link to a way to remove the sash that could be taught to an inexperienced quick learner like myself?.
Thanks again,
Joseph
Profile picture of Tom

You probably won't be able to remove the sash. Although there is overlap, I would also recommend against guessing. I've been burned too many times trying that.

If I were you, I'd play a bathroom scale on the sill and gently lower the sash on top of it. That's obviously not going to be pinpoint accurate but it will be close enough for our purposes. 

Good afternoon Tom,
I removed the other balance and weighed the sash using my luggage scale. The sash of course was still in the frame. The weight was 35-40lbs. It looks like the strongest, "Yellow" tip. What do you think?
Thanks again,
Joseph
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Wow, that's incredibly heavy. I can't believe a window manufacturer would make that large and heavy a sash to be used with just a skinny 3/8" tube balance. 

In this case, we can offer the S400-36 yellow tip, which is recommended for a sash weighing 24 through 34 lbs. They unfortunately don't manufacturer a heavier spring for the 3/8" tube balance, which is why this is so surprising. It falls under your sash weight so it may be weak, but there is nothing stronger in this size.

We also recommend a charging tool to add tension to the spiral and to help attach the little bow tie at the end of the spiral to the bottom sash clip.

Paul,

I double checked using a different method and confirmed what I was getting. Hopefully the fresh new set will be an improvement.

Thank you guys very much for all your attention. I know this order will not be too large. If it is any consolation, I live in an apartment complex and have been talking with the maintenance crew. They don't currently have a source for getting these balances and have been looking for one. If all this works out you may get them as a customer as well as myself.

I will be adding the charging tool to my order as well.

Have a great day,

Joseph

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

It was our pleasure to help, Joseph. We would be greatly appreciative of any business you send our way. Thanks for reaching out to us and please let us know if this project is successful.

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for the update, Joseph, and for the recommendations! We really appreciate it.

We usually don't recommend giving a spiral balance more than 3-5 turns. You should start to feel tension build by that point. Charging any more of that risks damaging the balance.

I'm surprised you had to charge it that many times. The Yellow Tip option is the absolute strongest spring they make for this balance. They don't come any stronger. If you did get the balances to work regardless then I guess don't worry about it, but it's something to keep in mind.

Hi Guys,
I have installed my balances and they work great. I have also shown the Apt Maintenance crew how to install/adjust and gave them this website. Maybe it will send some business your way.
I am curious what's the max number of rotations I can put in my S400-36 yellow tip balances. I put 20 (full 360 deg) in each and that is just enough to make it go up without a big struggle. I'd like to put 5-10 more twists in it to make it nice and easy but don't want to damage my new balances.
Thanks again for the help,
Joseph
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.