HD16 D Window Balance

A quick learner from Pennsylvania says:
Hi - I'm in search of 2 window balance replacement parts and need help identifying the appropriate part. Attached are 4 pictures. One is inscribed "HD24" and measures 25 inches from end-to-end. The other is inscribed "HD16 d" and measures 17 inches from end to end (smaller window). The issue I'm having is that one window (HD24) the upper window slides down on its own (I would replace balances on both sides as I think the cords are just old and weak at this point). For the 2nd window (HD16 d) the spring is broken so only one balance keeps the window from falling down. Thanks for your help in figuring out the parts I need!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190603_105732.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190531_135205.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190531_143513.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190531_135123.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Can you show us some clearer pictures of the balance out of the window? We need to see the clip that attaches to the pivot shoe, as well as the pivot shoe itself removed from the window. From there, we'll see what we can identify for you. Many thanks.

Additional photos Part 1.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190531_135142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190531_135205.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190531_135215.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190606_090909.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190606_091008.jpg
Last photo
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190606_091023.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190606_091039.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can be of assistance. Thanks for the photos. Hopefully the metal die-cast tilt shoes you have are all intact, because I am afraid they are no longer available. You seem to to be handy, so we can supply the ribbed channel balances: our Series 751. You would need to switch the nylon shoes that come with these balances with yours. Service technicians use a vise to hold the balance channel, pull the shoe about five inches,lock the cord with locking pliers and switch the shoes. For the 17" balance use our S751-17 with a spring weight 16HD. Now, the 25" balance is our S751-25. Your stamp option 24HD that is for a sash weighing between 18 through 22 lbs. Weigh your sash to see if the weight falls in this category, if not there is a 24TG for sash weighing 22 through 30 lbs.

A quick learner from PA says:
Thanks Paul. I weighed the window and it was actually 15 lbs. I will go ahead and submit and order for a pair of the S751-25 as well as a pair of the S751-17 for the smaller window. Much appreciated
Profile picture of Paul

Hm, did you ever have trouble closing the window before this, or did it slide open on you? 16HD is for a window sash in the weight range of 17 through 22 lbs, so its possible that those balance's spring calibration was a bit too strong for your window. If the smaller sash weighs exactly 15 lbs, 16R is the better option (10 through 17 lbs). Let me know what you think. 

A quick learner from PA says:
Actually, the one labeled 24HD is the one that weighs 15 lbs. The one that shows 16HD weighs 12 lbs. I submitted an order already but wondering if you think I should cancel and/or change it. The 24HD is the one where the upper sash slides down on its own (weak/worn springs or chords?) while the 16HD bottom sash is simply a broken spring where the metal broke
Profile picture of Paul

Ah, thanks for clarifying. A S751-25 with a stamp option of 24HD is meant to support a window sash in the weight range of 18 through 22 lbs. I am afraid I do think this would be too strong for your window sash--in hindsight this is possibly why the window was sliding down, rather than compromised springs! Now I'm afraid your order has already shipped, as our warehouse has a very quick turnaround time--but fortunately you can view our Return Policy for the incorrect balances here. The correct balances you would need are the S751-25 with a stamp option of 24R, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 10 through 18 lbs. These should work a lot better for your upper sash. Let me know if you have any other questions!

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.