Handle Extension

A purchasing agent from Omaha, NE says:
Hello, I work for a senior living development/management company and we have a new building with a unique challenge. Architecture did not want to change the outside of the building and ownership wanted kitchen sinks in front of windows. The result is a strange edge that drops down behind the sink in front of the window to keep window heights the same. To reach the crank one must be able to reach over the counter and then down the 11" drop -not ideal for anyone but certainly not seniors. It appears the extensions with the universal joint with pole ring is for windows that are too high. Do you have any recommendations for this situation. Photos are attached.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_285D58D85366-1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2534.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2536-preview.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9729.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named View recent photos.png
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That is definitely an issue, however I think you were on the right track. While the pole ring adapters we sell--like the 39-336, as well as extenders like the 39-157 and 39-337--are designed for high applications, I see no reason they can't work here, too. These joints have a full 180 degree range of movement.

You would still need a pole hook to reach it though, and in your application probably something substantially shorter than a pole. Finding a pole that will be both easy to use, access, and store is going to be the hard part. However the overall principle of using these extenders is still sound and I think it's going to be your best option.

It should also be noted that our extender hardware likely won't be compatible with your existing operator's cover. Or, in a best case scenario, it simply won't look nice. You may want to consider the 39-452 and 39-451.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.