Handle for Champion brand sliding door.

Home Owner from Fort Collins, CO
Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am
Need replacement locking handle for Champion brand sliding door that was installed in 2011. The door is white vinyl but can't seem to find a model number. I can upload pics of the door and handle mounting area if that would help.
Handle_Pic1 Handle_Pic2
2 user uploaded images
14 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello! We may be able to help with this, but I'll need  a bit more information first.

To start, can you tell me the distance between the two installation holes, center-to-center? Could you also show me a picture of the mortise lock in the door? You don't have to remove it,  just seeing its face should be enough. I want to be sure whatever replacement we recommend will be compatible.

The hole spacing is my biggest concern. Yours look pretty far apart. If we do have something that will work with your mortise, there is a good chance you'll have to redrill the mounting holes to get it to fit on your door. Just something to keep in mind.

Home Owner from Fort Collins, CO
Mar 27, 2020 10:04 am
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help. The distance between the mounting holes is 5 5/8". See new pic of the mortice.
Handle_Pic3
1 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 30, 2020 8:51 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you for confirming your measurements. I was a little afraid that this might be your answer. The bad news is that we don't have anything with the hole spacing you provided. Nothing that will work with your mortise, anyway.

We can provide two options, and neither are ideal. The first is to use our 82-086. I believe this can work with your existing mortise, and it does have a key lock, however it has a hole spacing of 3-15/16". You will definitely need to drill a new installation hole. If it does install and work well, and there's no guarantee that it will, then one of your old screw holes will probably still  be visible.

The other option would be a surface mount set like our 82-005. This is a different style and will also require drilling new holes at 4-15/16" on center, but it doesn't have to interact with your mortise since it uses its own. That means that you can install it in such a way that it conceals all the old holes in the door.

I'm very sorry that we couldn't offer a better handle set. If you wanted to stick with the style you have now, then I recommend contacting the original manufacturer directly. 

Home Owner from Madison wi
Aug 5, 2021 4:50 pm
Hi Tom, same issue here. Looking for a new handle for my champion door and drilling a new hole does not appear to be an option. Did you ever locate a correct replacement handle?
20210805_154957
1 user uploaded images
Home Owner from UT
Aug 6, 2021 4:31 pm
Hey Tom,

Not sure if you will see this after a year...I have the exact same problem. what did you end up doing?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 10, 2021 1:32 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Unfortunately, our answer from March of 2020 has not changed. At this time that remains our best solution. Sorry again for the inconvenience. 

Home Owner from Boise
Feb 28, 2022 6:23 pm
Tom,

We're any of your other inquirers able to identify either the door manufacturer or the exact handle model? I have the same issue.

John
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 1, 2022 10:46 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Not as of yet, no. I hate to say it but the story so far remains the same. Again, I'm very sorry we can't give a solid answer on this.

Quick Learner from 46122
Feb 17, 2023 5:14 pm
i have a champion company sliding patio door and the door handle with lock needs replaced. There are no numbers or name on the outsideof the handle. Where can i find a replacement.
IMG_3179
1 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Feb 20, 2023 2:08 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Unfortunately, we do not sell replacement hardware for this type of door. This is not a project we'll be able to help with.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Home Owner from RI
May 19, 2023 8:12 pm
Any updates on this Champion Sliding Door handle predicament ?? I am having the same problem and Champion wants to charge me an exorbitant amount to convert my sliders to the new style??curious what other homeowners have done ???
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 22, 2023 8:52 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Unfortunately, we do not have any updates on this handle set. At this time we don't sell a suitable replacement for it.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Handy Person from OH
Jun 15, 2023 12:46 pm
HI TOM,
SO I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY PATIO DOOR, WAS WONDERING IF THE 82.005 IS THE COMPLETE SET? INSIDE, OUTSIDE HANDLES AND THE OPERATING MECHANISM.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jun 16, 2023 8:20 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello! Yes, the 82-005 includes everything shown on its store page. This includes an interior handle, exterior handle, latch, and keeper.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts