Help Identifying Parts and Repair Suggestions

A home owner from Huntingburg Indiana says:

The 3 broken pieces in the attached photos fell out of an American Craftsman/Silverline double hung vinyl window that was purchased from Home Depot in 1998. I believe it was a Series 1000 window. 

Just prior to the plastic pieces falling out on the sill, I was trying to open and close the lower window, which was very difficult. While trying to push the window closed these parts fell out with a popping noise. Strangely, the window actually opens and closes very easily now, but is a tiny bit loose in the frame. My suspicion is that these parts must have already been broken and were wedging against the window frame, making it difficult to open/close. 

Since this happened on a Sunday I did not want to risk pulling the window out to inspect it further until I had an idea of what I needed. As of today no other pieces have fallen out of the window. I think these are pieces of a broken balance shoe, but wanted your opinion. Any suggestions on what exact part to order? Also, are there any other parts that you would suggest that I also order when replacing this part? Thank you!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200608_092330.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200608_092339.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200608_092403.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

What you're showing me here is the center cam of a pivot shoe. These are absolutely needed for a window to function. What's probably happening now is that the sash's pivot bars are resting in the hollow where the cam once went, which would explain why they're loose. I'm not sure how the cam by itself fell out, though. That's a bit like taking off your socks without first removing your boots.

Either way, we can definitely help. You'll need new pivot shoes. In order to identify a match, I'll need you to remove one of the originals and show me a photo of it by itself. I'll also need to know its thickness and depth, which are the two most important dimensions.

The videos below may prove useful to you, as well.

I tilted the window out to take a look, and found the remaining piece wedged in the jamb. It looks like it is still attached to the balance, but will absolutely not move up or down. It looks like this may be a difficult job and I may need to look into a jamb spreader or some similar tool before I can remove it. That side of the window is completely disconnected from the shoe. It also looks like the cam literally broke out of the bottom of the pivot shoe. I did do some very rough measurements with it being in the jamb, and it is pretty close to 1/2 thick,about 2" tall and 1 1/4" wide. I also took a photo. does that help narrow it down at all? I looked around on your site a bit, and at least the bottom section looks a bit like your 15-046. What I can see of the balance looks kind of rusty, but I am not sure if the balance is part of the problem and will need replaced too. Also, while I have your attention, do you carry the vinyl weatherstrip piece that is along the exterior bottom edge of the lower window frame? It was hard to get a clear shot of that, but I attached a photo of that as well. If this is not enough information about that shoe, I will go back and see what I can do about getting it out. Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200611_140322.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200611_140442.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I agree, the 15-046 looks like a great match. As long as the thickness is 1/2" then I feel confident that this will work for your window.

I'm not sure about the weatherstripping. We need to see a picture of the end profile to ID a match. The video below will go into more detail.

Thanks. I am going to go ahead and give the 15-046 a try.

In the meantime, as soon as I get a chance I will get you more info on that weatherstrip. Thanks again and I will be in touch.
Profile picture of Tom

You got it! I'll be here whenever you need me.

First of all, thank you for your help so far! It turned out that the 15-046 was the exact part that I needed; nearly a perfect match with the original. With the help of one of your videos I was able to remove the old pivot shoe and install the new one using the cutout method. In the process I discovered that my spiral balance on that side was completely rusted and jammed/stuck, which must have caused the pivot shoe to break in the first place. With the help of your website I was able to quickly identify the needed balance and have ordered a pair so I can complete the repair.

Regarding my other question about the bottom weatherstrip on the lower sash, here are some photos from different angles. The strip looks like a snap in vinyl glaze, and protrudes approx. 1/4". I cannot figure out how it attaches, if I did not know better would almost believe that it is somehow molded into the bottom frame of the sash.

And one new question about another part. I have also attached two photos of the vinyl trim piece that covers the spiral balance for the lower window sash. the total width is approx. 1 1/8". Do you carry anything like this?

Thanks again for everything you and your company do for us consumers who want to keep our windows in top shape!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200618_095350.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200618_095733.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200618_095740.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200618_094820.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately the bottom sash flex seal you show here was discontinued by Silverline at the turn of the century. They offer no replacement at this time. 

We have the 58-180 stick-on foam weather strip that should work for the bottom of the sash. What you want to do is wipe down the bottom of the sash with alcoholic then stick on the foam seal near the front of the sash with the "V" facing inside towards the house. When closing the sash, it will compress the foam to the sill to give you a tight seal. 

As for the balance cover, that, too, is discontinued. It doesn't have any function except for aesthetics, though, so you don't need it for the window to function.

Ok, thank you for that information, I will give that weatherstrip a try, and good to know that the cover isn't functional. Thanks again for everything!
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.