Help identifying parts and size

A handy person from Seattle, WA says:

Hello-

I need to replace channel balances on a bunch of windows in an older house. Most of the windows are completely missing channel balances. Is there a way to determine the length of the balance I need from the size of the sash?

I'm including photos from one of the channel balances I was able to remove. I believe all the others will be this same style. I can provide sash dimensions/weights for other windows if that is helpful.

BTW--the length of the metal portion of the channel balancer shown in the pictures is 26 1/16"Thanks,Steve

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191115_095345.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191115_095353.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191115_095416.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191115_095304.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191115_095326.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. This looks like a S385-26 or S380-26. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. You will need a stamp option of 2530. 

In regards to your other-sized windows; in general it is always most reliable to go by an old balance from the window, so we can't say for sure what you need otherwise. Similarly, we also cannot say for sure either if these other balances will still be either the Series 380 or Series 385.  That said, if you can provide the following information for each window, we may be able to help narrow down the length and stamp options needed. Can you tell us the height of the visible glass in each window, as well as the exact weight of each window sash? From there, we'll try our best to recommend what you need. 

One last point: if you know the manufacturer of the windows, that may help us confirm the probably Series you need. Many thanks. 

Great. That was very helpful.

It looks like the S385-26 (2530) is the best match for the 26" window.

I was also fortunate to find a broken channel balance in one of the windows that was broken. It is 29", has the same shoe as the previous and marked "28 3". I'm assuming the replacement for this would be S385-29 (2830)

The last window is the only one I don't have channel balance info for. It is 15 lb and has visible glass height of 18". What is your best guess for a replacement? Unfortunately I was not able to find any manufacturer info. The channel balance is marked "Caldwell" but I'm assuming that is a different company than the window frame/sash.
Profile picture of Bob

This is perfect, thank you so much for doing the leg work on this. I agree with your assessment of the 28-3 balance, our S385-29 is likely your best bet.

For the 15 pound sash with the 18" glass: assuming that it's the same window model as the others (apart from size), then I recommend our S385-19 with an 1840 stamp. Two of these working together can carry 14 through 17 pounds so it should definitely carry your sash weight.

Thanks for all the help!
Profile picture of Bob

You are very welcome. Be sure and get back in touch with us and let us know hoe=everything works out.

Just wanted to let you know that I installed the new balances without any problems (like 5 min). Thanks much for your help. It's great to have 3 working windows!
Profile picture of Bob

That is great news! We are happy to hear that everything has worked put. Please contact us again for a future hardware project. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.