Help with double hook mortise lock

A quick learner from CA says:

Hi,

I need to replace the 82-268B but the old one does not just come out through the hole in the side of the door like it does in the 82-218 because the 82-268B is wider than the hole in the door. How do I get the old 82-268B out? Is there a "how to video" you can point me to?

Thank you,

Dan

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Looking at your video, it does appear that the cut out in your door is too narrow to allow the lock to pass through. Check to see if there is a trim piece that comes off the door to access the lock. Another idea would be to remove the door from the track to see if the lock can slide out from either the top or bottom of the patio door handle stile
A quick learner from CA says:
I have the same issue with my patio door. I am able to pull the trim from the top of the patio door frame down to below the mortise lock. Then I will be able to do the replacement from that point. See attached photos.

For reference my patio door is a 2006 Milgard sliding glass door. The lock snib (the part of the handle that you move to engage the lock) is "floppy" which presents the risk of locking us out if the patio door is shut while we are outside. Since I will not get the new mortise lock for a week or so, I simply turned the old mortise lock over so the lock snib functions the opposite direction (snib moves up into the lock position and down into the unlock position). I will be installing an additional lock at the bottom as well.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Awesome! Thank you so much for clarifying how this is done. I'm certain this will help other customers in the future.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.