Home craft window coil spring.

A handy person from Philadelphia says:
Surfed your catalog a bit and I think it's a #4 coil spring series 150 (#4 stamped on the top clip in picture). All the other hardware looks good. Should I order just the coil springs?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190502_122253.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. While this could be a Series 150 Coil Spring, I honestly can't be certain without seeing the 'tongue' of the coil spring or, better yet, the pivot shoe that that tongue attaches to. If you want to be certain, remove the system from the window and show us the springs and pivot shoe. As far as the spring weight goes, I'm also afraid to say that the number on the housing is probably irrelevant to the actual spring strength; that is likely just a patent number for the housing itself. You will need to remove the coil springs and look for stamps on the actual tape. If there are no stamped numbers, weigh your window sash. Give us that exact weight and we'd be happy to figure out what spring weights you need.

A handy person from Philadelphia says:
Ok. Was hoping I didn't have to remove the frame until I had the part. I will check the tape.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190502_122236.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Actually, the picture of the pivot shoe is a big help in this case. I recognize what you have: this is an old balance system that is not made anymore, so we can't provide an exact match. That said, I think the Series 140 Coil Balance system might work as a replacement for you. Take a look and see what you think. If the Series 140 does work for you, the convenient thing about them is the coil springs and pivot shoes come as one part. To know what spring weight you need, you'll need to weigh your window sash and divide by two. For instance, if your sash weighed 18 lbs, you'd want the S140-9.

An issue with switching to the Series 140 is that you'll need new pivot bars, as your old ones won't be compatible with the new pivot shoe. You'd want either our 26-398 or 26-405, depending on which one is a match for your current pivot bar's hole spacing. 

Look over all these recommended parts, and let us know what you think. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.