How to adjust cam to unlocked position

A home owner from Merritt Island, FL says:
I am pretty sure this is the pivot shoe I need but I can't figure out how to get the cam into the unlocked position. I've tried to move it with a screwdriver but it seems stuck. Tried shoes on both sides but they both seem stuck.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 43BC2325-9FA5-489D-90E5-A169CF941432.jpeg
I got the other side unlocked and my screwdriver slipped and it went flying to the top. It is very difficult to pull it down. Any suggestions?

Not sure if I should try to detach the cord. Of course I'll have to detach it when I replace the shoe.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 90DF466D-A9D2-4C07-AF70-11118AFC6792.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thanks for writing in. I agree that the 15-105 looks like the right pivot shoe for you. Are you trying to remove the pivot shoe from the window? If so, you will need to unhook the channel balance clip and cord from the pivot shoe first. From there, you should be able to unlock the pivot shoe by inserting a screwdriver and rotating the cam. You can take a look at the videos linked on the side for assistance. 

Thanks! I did finally get the pivot shoe down (with lots of help from my husband).

Good to know that I unhook it to replace the shoe.

I finally got the shoes on both sides back to the same height and was able to put the window back in and shut the window almost to the bottom. It was really, really hard to get it down. And I can't get it shut completely. I was doing all this on a test window that wasn't broken.

I have another window at the other house (the one I need to fix) that I managed to shut almost to the bottom .. same problem as my test window.

Do you know why it is so hard to get the window down? Both houses were built in the 1990s and I'm sure the shoes are original. Do you think if I replace the shoes that would fix the problem of not being able to shut them?

I'm not having any luck finding anybody who actually repairs windows .. internet searches only seem to show people who sell new windows. So I'm trying to figure it out myself.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Profile picture of Casey

Hm, it sounds like there might be a problem with the balance. I would suggest that we try to figure out what kind of channel balance you have and from there make sure that you have the right spring calibration. If you have a spring that is too heavy duty that could be the source of your issues. In order to do this I will need to see the balances removed from the window. I'll also need to see the stamp or imprint on the metal channel, which indicates the spring strength. 

Hmm .. do you have a video?

Goodness, I'm hesitant to open that window again! I'll try it tomorrow when I have a few hours to devote to it. Seems like everything I do to the windows end up taking hours!

Thanks so much for your replies!

Oh, would the balances go bad due to age? Strange that this happens at both houses.
Profile picture of Casey

Balances typically can last up to 15 years, so age could be a factor. Another possible issue could be that the springs have become rusty. Take a look at the video below for assistance with the removal process. Let me know what you find!

Great! Thanks. Might not be tomorrow but I'll send you a picture of what I find. It would be great if replacing these would allow my windows to open!
Profile picture of Casey

Sounds great! I look forward to hearing from you. Happy New Years!

The channel was held by two screws alongside the channel, top and bottom.

I think I see the problem .. the bottom double string thing is slightly askew. Assuming this is what makes it hard to work?

I saw no markings on the channel. It is 30" long.

Let me know if you need better pics.

Thanks! And Happy New Year!

Breakthrough on that cam I couldn't move. It was really stuck, could not budge it. My husband sprayed on some WD40 and it worked like a charm!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0928F3DC-F956-4A04-8AF2-0A171F6CA1DB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 466A111B-A60F-46A2-9A3D-77205A0B88D7.jpeg

I checked out the balance with a magnifying glass and found a marking!

q 2940

I assume it is a 'q'.

I weighed the sash .. 24.6 lbs.

And, the connector is a J hook.

I got the balances and shoes off at the other house.

Those balances are marked with "b 2840" and they are 29" long. The sash weighs 22 pounds.

And the shoe is the same 15-105.

Hi Julia

I have attached a photo of what's in my cart. Based on the information in the previous messages, can you verify I'm ordering the correct parts, especially the balances and their option numbers.

Do you think it will be easier to raised and lower the windows if I replace the balances? Also, the new balances I have in my cart have a set screw at the top. My existing ones have screws alongside the balance (nothing on the top). Do you think I can use the old method to mount them?

Thanks for all your help!

(We just got a contract on the house and I'm anxious to get that window fixed.)
Profile picture of Casey

Hello, thank you for your patience. I actually think you'll be needing our Series 770 with the 62-105 hook. These will have to be custom made due to the fact that they are not one of our stock options. I just e-mailed you two custom order links based on the quantities you show in your screenshot. I certainly would think that these new balances would improve the functioning of the window! Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with. 

Only question is about the set screw at the top. The existing balance goes in sideways. See photo.

Looks like installing it non-sideways would have enough room, but wanted to hear your recommendation.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3D93A009-7EB0-4500-85F5-3EE632A1F32A.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

I'm afraid we haven't encountered this type of assembly before. Our balances go in straight and the screw goes right into the jamb liner. I confess I'm not 100% certain that ours will work because we haven't dealt with this issue before. I'm very sorry we don't have a better answer for you. Unfortunately we don't have an alternative to offer. 

Thanks Julia.

I went ahead and ordered enough to (hopefully!) fix the other house. If this works I'll order more for my current house.

Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all your help!
Profile picture of Casey

Sounds good. Please let us know how it works out. We really appreciate your business and hope you will consider us for your future hardware replacement needs. 

A home owner says:
Hi Julia

My test worked! I used the screws that held in the old balances, not crazy about this but it seems to work.

I need the following if you can look up what I should order.

b 1640, 17 inches - need 2
b 2840, 29 inches - need 2
b 2830, 29 inches - need 2
p 2940, 30 inches - need 8 (that symbol looks like a backwards "p")

And 15 pivot shoes (15-105)

I assume these will all be custom with the 62-105 hook

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Julia isn't here today, but I can help you out from here on. We should have no problem making these balances for you. My only concern is the stamp options in each case; your older balances use a different rating system than ours. I believe you will need the following stamps, in order:

• 1640 balance: 17D (16 through 19 lbs)
  • 2840 balance: 29D (23 through 28 lbs)
  • 2930 balance: 29C (18 through 23 lbs)
  • 2940 balance: 30D (24 through 29 lbs)

I highly recommend weighing each sash to confirm that our stamp options will work for you, since I'm not 100% sure that they will. These are educated guesses on my part, and since custom balances can't be returned for a refund then you really should check.

Assuming I am correct, I will email you four order links and price quotes for the requested quantities. Note that these links will not contain the 15-105 pivot shoes you requested, as they are sold separately. You can just add them to your cart when you're ready to checkout.

Thanks Tom.

I'll have to travel to my old home to check the weights so it may be a day or two.

Will be back to you.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tom

I weighed the sashes and your items seem correct. As I was looking at everything, I realized there was nothing wrong with the balances on two windows. (I had assumed all the balances were bad.) One needed a new pivot bar and the other just needed new shoes.

I ordered what I needed for the house we're selling and enough to get started on the house we just bought. Luckily they both have the same windows so I could steal parts from one house to use on the other house. Very convenient!

I'm becoming quite the expert on tilt window repair!

Thank you and Julia for all your help!

Donna
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Awesome! I'm glad you got everything sorted. If you ever had any follow-up questions, you know where to find me.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.