How to reattach tandem coil balance springs to mounting bracket?

A home owner from USA says:

Am I supposed to:

unscrew the "mounting bracket" from the track?

seat the mounting bracket directly on top of the coil spring housing?

tug up on the two tandem springs and attach them to the mounting bracket?

THEN slide the whole assembly up the track and screw in the bracket?

If so, how much should I extend the "tongues" of the springs (to make it easier to attach the mounting bracket) vs how much tension is required, and how to tug them up into place? I can fit the coil housing back in the track, and reinstall the window, but cannot figure out how to reattach the coil springs to the mounting bracket :( Also, can you please help me identify all these parts as I want to order several replacements from Swisco - I suspect this problem was just the first of many!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely

Rob

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1 - Mounting bracket, Left side, springs unattache
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2 - Mounting bracket, Right side, with coil spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3 - Tandem Coil Housing - Left side.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5 - Tandem coil housing, front (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5 - Tandem coil housing, front.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Rob. See our 15-087 Pivot Shoe, along with the 15-086 Coil Housing. This Coil Balance system uses our Series 180 Coil Springs. The stamps on your housing might indicate you need the S180-6, which is for 6 lbs of weight support apiece, but in general it's not reliable going by stamps on the housing, just on the springs themselves. If you're uncertain, weigh your window sash. Give us that exact weight and we'll work out what you need. Many thanks.

A quick learner from USA says:
Thanks Bob- very helpful to know which parts I need.

However my main question is: How to reattach the dual coil springs to the mounting bracket?

Any recommendations?
Thanks, Rob
Profile picture of Bob

Sure, Rob. First, you  unscrew the 16-024 mounting bracket. Next,slide the the dual balance system you show in photo #5 up to the hole that the 16-024 was screwed to. From there, hook the single point on the 16-024 under the lip of the 15-086 and place the two coil springs hooking the top hole and bottom hole. Then, reattach the 16-024 mounting bracket to the original hole. Please be aware that when tightening the screw, the bracket will not lay flat against the back wall, but rather, on a angle. With a flat screw driver place it in the black center cam and bring the balance system down as much as you can. Lastly, turn the cam towards you to lock it. Repeat the same steps on the other side.

I hope this helps. Get back to us if you have any other questions about this.

A home owner from Ohio says:
I received the parts I ordered from your company. (15-087 & S180-6). Perfect replacement.The problem I'm having is how to remove the sash. Some of the windows in my house have the 15-175 type and it's just tilt and lift. That's not a problem. The 15-187 don't work like that. Please advise.
Thanks !
Profile picture of Bob

I'm glad to  hear these parts are a good match! As for removing the sash, it can be a little tricky. We don't have a video for this exact type of window, but if you watch the tutorial below you should get an idea of our method. You sort of have to twist the sash so that one pivot shoe is higher than the other. That angle should provide the clearance necessary to remove the sash.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.