How to remove broken block & Tackle balance

Home Owner from OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
May 8, 2014 1:38 pm
I have a broken block & tackle balance on a single hung 23 year old aluminum window frame, non-tilting. I am trying to figure out how the old sash balance comes out. None of my windows in my house have clips, but have apparent slots on them. I have attached pictures for any helpful guidance on how to remove & repair these.

Thanks,
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
4 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 8, 2014 3:11 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT
I cannot identify your balance based on this image, so there could be a few different ways. I would start by watching the video below. Is this what kind of balance you have?
May 8, 2014 3:47 pm
Tom:

I added other pictures after this one, hit the submit button to early. Here are more pictures. Do I need to put in clips at the top if my windows don't have them in order to catch the balance? The black cap on the top, does it come off? The left side is pushed up some but that spring isn't broke. The one on the right side is broke.

I watched the video, and if mine is like that, I have to go buy some clips first I guess so it can catch on the balance. I was a little confused! Thanks for any pointers!

David
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Paul
Paul from SWISCO
May 12, 2014 10:53 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
I see. Yes, you will need out 16-002 take out clip. For a short term solution, though, you could simply drill a hole in the jamb and use a screw to suit the same purpose. Once the sash is removed, you can take out the balances and the top sash guide and take clearer pictures of them for us.
May 12, 2014 1:03 pm
Thanks, got them out and replaced. Just needed the clips. The rivet holding the spring broke, the plastic guide at bottom was broke also. Works like brand new now and window really seals nice. Thanks for the information.
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts