Is 39-388 The best fit?

A quick learner from Massachusetts says:

We previously identified the 39-387 as the operator closest to what would replace my existing stripped operators for 2 windows. As the photos show, I ordered the incorrect handed ones and was about to order the 39-388. While the length of the arm from the gears to the elbow joint look good, the length to the clip on the outer arm seems short. Does this small difference (seen in one of the photos attached) matter? Would the 39-172 or 39-318 be a better fit? Is there another? I can't judge how close in size the base is to my existing one or the the 39-388.

Your input would be helpful before I reorder. Thank you again!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3786.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3785.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I think the 39-388 is definitely our closest option. The 39-172 and 39-318 are similar, but the link arms are a different design and likely won't work as well.

Concerning the size of the link arm, that may very well be an issue. You may want to measure yours just to be sure. Now, you may be able to get away with a little bit of a difference, but if it does end up getting in the way you have two options.

First, and easiest, you would remount the bracket on the sash. The bracket is the piece on the sash to which the link arm attaches. If you move it back a little, it should make up the difference and all will be well.

If that's not possible for whatever reason, you could always just swap the link arms. You can do this by drilling out the link arm on the old and new operators and then installing the old arm on the new operator with our 62-014

Let me know if you have any questions!

Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.