Is it possible to buy just the coil?

A home owner from WA says:
I bought this assembly (S140-6) back in 2013 to essentially replace broken coils. Now the coils snapped again so I bought the whole assembly yet again. In both cases just the coil was broken. I was wondering if it's possible (and cheaper) to acquire just the coil from now on. I'm almost sure the coils are not Left or Right either, so I can replace them when needed and where needed.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. I'm afraid we don't sell the Series 140 separately. It sounds like the S140-6 may not be the right choice for your window, since it keeps breaking. Could we see the original coil balance that was installed for this window? I think there's a good chance you need a different coil spring system. Many thanks.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm afraid I don't have the original coil balance anymore, I thew it away in 2013. But I have other two windows, slightly larger, and they seem to have this S140 assembly, or something very similar. They're different sizes, though, so one is 7L+7R and the other 8L+8R. They're not uses as often, so probably that's why they last longer.

Are you thinking that I should try stronger coils or weaker?

Thanks much!
Profile picture of Bob

OK, so let's try two things here:

1) Can you weigh the window sash with the coil balances you're trying to replace? That will help us determine what the right spring weight is (in other words, if you need something stronger than the S140-6). 

2) Can you show us a picture of one of the coil balance systems, including the pivot shoe, from one of the other windows? Though this won't guarantee for sure what you need for the window in question, it could help confirm whether the Series 140 is indeed the right choice. Many thanks.

Thank you!

I weighed the window sash and it shows 10.1 lb. I don't know how the coils are measured - I guess 6L+6R allows for 12 lb, maybe?

I'm attaching a photo of the original assembly for a larger window. It has a print of 8R although it was installed on the left side. It doesn't seem to matter much, other than the coil showing.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190729_094230.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid your photo didn't come through. However if your sash is 10.1 pounds then you want our S140-5. Two of these can carry sash weights weighing 9 through 10.99 pounds.

So the 6L/6R coils may be too strong. I'll keep that in mind if these break again in six years.

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated!
Profile picture of Bob

Our pleasure! Let us know if you have any other questions. And many thanks for considering our business, we appreciate it! 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.