Kinco window channel balance

A quick learner from Jacksonville, Fl says:
I need 2 channel balances for a Kinco window. The channel balance has 2830 stamped on it and is 29" long and is approx 9/16" on the three metal sides. I may be a sixtenth off. Thee window measures 59 and three fourths by 35 and one half. It is a hook type connection. Do you have this and what would the cost be?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel balance closeup and clip.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Overall window dimension.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel balance side and clip.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel balance top.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window dimensions measure Channel Balance.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can definitely supply this balance, but it will have to be a custom order due to its configuration. Before we go any further, I'd like you to confirm a few details for me.

First, can you tell me the weight of the sash your balance supports? The base channel we plan on using uses a different strength rating system than yours and I want to be 100% sure that the springs are calibrated properly.

We will be using the S770-29 but with a 62-105 hook attached to the end of the cord instead of the clip it usually comes with. That's what makes it custom. Can you just confirm that this assemblage looks right to you?

A quick learner from Jacksonville, Fl says:
Tom,
Thanks for your response. Since writing, I have found additional windows needing channel balances.

The S770-29 seems correct except the old channel balance does not have the white, nylon piece at the top. If that white piece goes unused will it impact the function? The 62-105 hook appears identical to the old ones.

I will be needing 8 each channel balances for a window weighing 19.2 lbs and 2 each channel balances for a window weighing 26.4 lbs.

I have removed several more of the channel balances needing replacement, and am baffled by the appearance nothing is holding them in. They appear wedged into the interior side of the frame and removal of a screw holding the frame in (not the balance) allows me to slide them up and down, wiggle them around and eventually get them out. Feeling and looking at the frame after removal does not reveal any clues of how it was held into place. No clips or screws are holding the thing in place. Hopefully you can tell me what I am missing as I do not want to tear up the new balances.

Which charging tool do I need for installing the 62-105 into the channel balance pivot screw? Can I assume fully raising the bottom window before removal to get the shoe highest to the channel balance is the correct position for less resistance by the spring while hooking the 62-105 into the shoe?

Thanks
Barry
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Barry. I'll go over your questions and points one at a time.

Starting with the white screw anchor at the top of the S770, I don't think that will do you any harm. As long as your old balances installed at the top using screws then it will be fine, or even better to be honest. I'll send you two order links and price quotes now for 8 and 2 according to your specifications.

I'm not sure about those other balances but it sounds like a messy situation. It could be that whoever installed them to begin with just kinda shoved them in there and hoped for the best. Sometimes when houses are closing and contractors are in a rush they will bend the rules to breaking to get the windows ready for inspection. Half of my job is cleaning up after such messes years after the fact. I can't be sure that's what happened here but it's pretty common and I'm not shocked to hear what you've described.

I actually don't recommend a charging tool to get the 62-105 hook into the pivot shoe, since there's no hole for it to go into. A pair of needle nose pliers should suit you well. What you can do is slide the pivot shoe up to the balance, hook the 62-105 in place, then use a screwdriver to push the pivot shoe back into place so that you can put your sashes back in. 

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.