Loewen Internal Parts needed - pulley block

A quick learner from Monroe, MI says:
I'm looking for a replacement pulley block for a Loewen double hung window. I've included pictures of the removed channel. Spring is fine, but the pot metal of the pulley broke. The label on the inside of the channel is DB 102 14 REG.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3527.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3528.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3529.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3530.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid you won't be able to replace that pulley. Those aren't meant to be repaired in any way. You will need an all new balance.

There's a good chance we carry yours, but I'll need more info. Specifically, I'll need a photo of the top to see how it installs in the window track. I'll also need to see the bottom shoe or clip, whatever it uses to attach to the sash.

From there, I'm confident we can find a matching balance.

Don't see why that pulley block assembly could't be sent, but I'll play. These are the rest of the pix that I took. There is a clip that the tensioning spring is connected to, and this clip attaches to the top of the track. The pulley block connects to the spring and is tied to the shoe for support.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EAF05D52-FA51-470D-88B9-27D32D444C6F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 501C352C-8973-4197-921D-080C035B3D42.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8FFE0B7B-5ED0-4C55-8295-9828A5FBD323.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D4FD9AB7-D9E4-4BA9-B1F9-F66D8BECD89B.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! This looks like it might be our Series 751 channel balance. You might want to slide the shoe out of the track to confirm that it matches the one on our balance. I feel confident it will, but if they happen to differ then you can show us and we will do our best to find something different.

The reason the pulley block cannot be replaced is because it is attached to the spring, as you noted. Once it breaks and the spring becomes disconnected, the tension is basically ruined. It would require special tools to reconnect the spring to the pulley, which is very dangerous considering how much pressure you're dealing with, and even if that were done the tension would never be the same. These are precise mechanisms that are specially calibrated at the factory and it's not just a simple matter of popping a new pulley in place. If you lose control of that spring while trying to move it in place then you could seriously hurt yourself. It's a lot easier, and less expensive, to simply replace the balance.

If you still don't believe me, there's an additional explanation that is probably a little simpler: no balance manufacturer sells replacement pulleys separately. We wouldn't be able to supply them even if we thought it was a good idea.

I believe you! And really looking into it, for under $10 each why would I bother doing it myself and mess it up! I looked at the Series 751; my only concern is that the description shows the channel as "ribbed" where my channel is square (see attached photos). So, since the shoes are identical from what I can tell, I'm ordering 2 of the 751 channels, replacing both sides. The other side was untied from the shoe, which may have led to the issue. Thanks, and we'll see if this works.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3609.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190609_155329089_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3594.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3608.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

You're right, that is a square channel. That's a pretty peculiar setup but not entirely unheard of. We can still supply this, but it will have to be a custom order since we have to make it here in the shop. 

Since you need 2, I'll email you a custom order link and price quote now for 2. This will be a plain channel balance with a 15-014 shoe at the bottom of the cord and a rivet installed in the second hole from the top. It will also include a 15B stamp option for sashes weighing 7 through 10 pounds.

We should have everything in stock. Let me know if you have any questions or if you need clarification.

Couple of follow ups. First, the custom ones fit perfectly, and now the window works like it's supposed to! Great job! The only downside is that the original installation apparently used a channel that was about an inch shorter than it should have been; the locking tabs catch if the window goes down all the way. We never do that, so not an issue. Again, great service, great fit!

Second, I had originally ordered a pair of the Series 751s before we had the follow up custom order. How do I return?

Profile picture of Tom

Awesome! I'm very glad everything worked out. As for the Series 751 you purchased, see our return policy here. You can fill out a form from this page and the process will continue from there.

Thank you once again for ordering with us. If you ever need anything else, feel free to ask.

A contractor from Ontario, Canada says:

I also have a square (Not ribbed) channel balance for a loewen window

Size is 18R (19") and has a standard knife block attachment

I see you recommended a 15-014 with a knife block custom order to another person.

Can you provide a quote to produce qty - 2 for pricing and timeline.

Thanks

Keith 

Profile picture of Tom

Sure, we can absolutely supply that for you. Can you just tell me what the precise weight of the sash is? Your old stamp, 18R, uses a different rating system compared to those stamps used by our Series 770. Knowing the sash weight would allow us to calculate a working alternative.

Please make sure to be as precise as possible; we would need to know that down to the ounce.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.