31 3 Channel Balancer in Photos

A handy person from San Jose, CA says:
Hello,
The nylon wire has popped in a couple of my balancers, so I would like to replace them; however, I don't know the part number of either the wire (assuming it's field-replaceable) or the whole balancer assembly. I also need the clip in the window channel that can be seen in image 6024 attached (maybe it comes with the balancer assembly?). Finally, I'm confused about the marking seen in image 6020. The "31" would indicate to me the length of the balancer, but as you can see in image 6019, its length is 32 inches.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6017.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6019.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6020.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6024.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6028.jpeg
Sorry, just figured out that the clip in image 6024 is actually part of the balancer that installs in the slot in the window channel. Also learned that the marking of 31 indicates a length of 32 inches...strange, but true.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Unfortunately, the cord cannot be replaced and it should not be attempted since the balance is under considerable tension, which can lead to injury or further damage. With this combination of attachments, you could have either an S380-32 or S385-32 channel balance. You’ll need to measure as shown below. The Series 380 has a 1" bottom attachment, and the Series 385 has a 1-3/32" attachment. 

As you've already deduced, you'll also need 3130 spring strength options for your 32" replacement balances. Thank you and let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Hi Casey, thanks so much for your detailed response! I measured the bottom attachment, and it comes out to 1" if I measure from the inside of the wing and 1 1/16" if I measure from the outside of the wing. So, my best guess is that I need the S380-32 part. Do you agree?

Though I want to be exact, my guess is that it's better to err with a smaller attachment than a larger one, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Profile picture of Casey

The shoe wing does need to be included in your measurement since the entire shoe needs to fit inside the window channel. If your shoe is measuring more than 1", you'll most likely need the S385 since the shoe can wear down a bit over time with normal use. If you want to be sure, you can remove another balance to confirm the shoe measurement. 

Hi Casey, just wanted to follow up that I ordered and successfully installed four balances, thanks to your great support! I think it was your website that recommended not to replace just one balance, but both on the same window, which was a great suggestion because the nylon cord (wire?) in the two functioning balances was already starting to fray.

I'll definitely be using Swisco for all of my future purchases!

Regards,
Jerry
Profile picture of Casey

Hi Jerry! 

I'm happy to hear that your repair went without a hitch. Please let us know if you need anything else. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.