Looking for a replacement handle & lock

A handy person from Pennsylvania (Philadelphia suburbs) says:
We've already had a short correspondence with Tim about this...just looking to replace our lock and handle system. This is on a door that leads outside, so there's a toggle lock on the interior/house side and a handle with no lock on the opposite/outdoor side. After removing the entire thing, you can see the 3 holes in the door edge that were used to install the lock. We're looking for a total replacement that functions the same way. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BA086532-8F06-435C-97E4-20AAEEE008EB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0CF2E72E-FA2E-4770-80AF-EB512CA5EE9D.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Your mortise lock looks like our 82-225; however the handle set used with this lock is no longer available. I would suggest foregoing getting a new internal lock and instead opting for a surface mounted handle set like our 82-005. You may need to adapt this to your door by drilling new holes, but I think this would work for you otherwise. You can also consider exterior handle sets used with the 82-005, like the 82-042 Outside Pull or its Keyed variant, the 82-306. Let us know what you think.

Bob, I purchased the 82-005 and 82-042 and got them in the mail earlier today. I'm relatively experienced with installing this kind of stuff, but this thing has me a little intimidated. I'd like to avoid the usual "figure it out as you go" and "trial and error" processes and just follow an instruction guide. I can't find any kind of installation manual/video for this specific part (referring to the 82-005...I figure that attaching the exterior pull handle will be super simple). Can you point me in the direction of some sort of manual I can follow?
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid we don't have any written guides on how to install this handle, but it's fairly straight forward. You just screw it to the door. Where exactly are you running into issues? I'll do my best to walk you through it.

Bob, what's the extra black plate that comes with the 82-005? I originally thought it was supposed to somehow attach to the main handle itself, but now I'm thinking it's supposed to be a handle for the exterior...is that the case? If so, I'm assuming it's just useless since I also purchased an 82-042...
Profile picture of Bob

The 82-005 is the outside handle originally meant to go with the 82-005. The 82-042 is an alternate outside handle option that I thought you may be interested in considering since many of our customers prefer using it. You use it instead of that plate, not with it. 

A quick learner from Phila says:
Bob, installed the replacement handle a few weeks ago and everything was great...but now the internal mortar lock has come loose. Refer to the attached pictures...how is the lock supposed to be kept in place?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6EF813E6-3469-4288-8751-08F781AE9885.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey! Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. This mortise is held in place with a basic retaining clip, which in your case might have come loose. Watch the video below for more information on how this part is kept in place and let me know if this helps.

Bob, is the retaining clip supposed to be included in the package with the handle/lock? There wasn't a clip inside the 82-005 that I purchased...
Profile picture of Bob

There should have been a retainer clip included. We'll send you a new set with the clip and you'll also have extra replacement parts, since we don't sell the clip separately. Thank you!

Bob, something needs to be said here. When I originally came across the site, I was pretty discouraged by the vast amount of parts and models and I was sure that tracking down the correct replacement was going to turn into a giant headache. I almost didn't even bother with the "Contact Us" page...so many times before, I've filled out a description and contact info on sites that do very little aside from an automated response. You responded right away, pointed me towards the correct replacement, and before I even checked what was going on with my message about the plastic retainer, I got it in the mail. Fantastic service and expertise. Thank you.
Profile picture of Bob

Hey, thanks for taking a few minutes to share the kinds words! We try our best to give our customers the parts and support they need to make their own repairs, so we’re glad to hear we were able to lend a hand. We appreciate your business and for taking a chance on that "contact us" page!

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.