MW Twinseal window balances

A home owner from Charleston SC says:

I purchased a home that has original MW Twinseal single hung windows throughout from 2000. Almost all of them have broken window balances. I have measured the silver tube (27" x 3/8" diameter)and the black foot (1 1/4"). After studying your website and comments, etc. I think I need the 850 series with balance screw plugs and the screw that goes with plug (#33-016)? I'm not sure how to measure for the balance and of course there is no stamp anywhere! Hopefully my pictures will help confirm what I need. Thank you in advance!!!!

Melissa

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named hqp2N%KaRNSNX69PiLtuAQ.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2rx67AFZTkeL+lRkqIUtyQ.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named JfD1CDqGQwOQKYLuwcE8Cw.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named +gV0FKC2Qkypar+0rXyE7g.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I agree, the Series 850 looks like a good match. Unfortunately, your size isn't available anymore. Window manufacturers have been phasing out this style and now they're starting to disappear. 

Fortunately, our Series 795 works great as a replacement. Just make sure to replace both balances on either side of the window at the same time. That way, your window will function properly with its new hardware. You will also need a new pivot bar for the Series 795; we recommend the 26-021, or even the 26-366. You will also need to weigh your sash on a scale to confirm the best option.

A home owner from Charleston SC says:
Do I also need to order a T-Lock Shoe?
I also need a recommendation for the locks on top of window!
Thanks so much
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named %v%l+ynRTVCn2iMkSAmLxQ.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The Series 795 comes with a 1-1/4" wide T lock shoe. As long as yours is also 1-1/4" wide then this should work great.

As for the tilt latch your're showing, see our 26-243 and 26-244.

A home owner from Massachusetts says:

I think I have the same window type, and have the same issue as the home owner from SC, although there is no 'MW' marking on the catches on my window.

I enclose a picture of the balance mechanism from one of my windows.

Would you able to provide any advice for replacement parts, if I was to provide dimensions?

I note that you recommend channel replacement but I don't understand how these would be fitted to the frame

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Balance.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Since this old thread was made, we actually made a tutorial video that shows you how a Series 795 can replace a balance like yours. I highly recommend watching it, as it covers everything needed to finish the project.

A home owner from Mount Pleasant SC says:
Hello!
I have tried both pivot bars suggested and am having difficulty making either work, 26-021 & 26-366 were too short...I did not try to drill hole to accommodate. My current pivot is 3 1/8" long. I have purchased your 795 series (28") I hope you have another option for pivot. Thanks in advance!
I am showing you what each pivot looked like against what was in window.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4503.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4502.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, these pivot bars are our only option. There is a very good chance that you will need to drill a new hole in order to get the 26-366 to fit. I've had to do that myself in the past when encountered with this older style. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

A home owner from Callawassie Island, SC says:
I just ordered replacement balances for a couple of our windows. The windows didn't open during a home inspection (the sale of our home) and the buyers wanted them fixed. A web search lead me to your site, and the video you posted showing how to replace the balances was perfect. I was even able to salvage a good balance from one window and transplant it to fix another.

Hope I don't need you in the future, but glad to know where you are!
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.