MW sash balance

A home owner from Tennessee says:
This is a MW window. I'm not sure if the balance can be removed or repaired or even if the balance replacement is available. I can take more/better pictures if needed. I've never repaired a window before but I am somewhat handy and am willing to do the work.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 68D36C26-10A3-4F69-80B2-98B09089F668.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9A23DD2F-8312-4B1D-9791-8DC1E4EAD1B3.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Greetings. You have a wood sash window with vinyl jamb liners. We can only supply the nylon friction shoe, the 15-104, that connects to the spring. If you need to replace the springs, then you will need new complete jamb liners--I am afraid we do not carry these. You would need to contact a mill work in your area for assistance.

To remove the jamb liners, first tilt in the sashes and twist to remove them. The jamb liners are held in by the pressure of the sashes, so once you remove the sashes, you can carefully pull them from the wood frame. With the jamb liner out you can slide out the 15-104 nylon friction guide and spring from the track.

A home owner from Tennessee says:
Thanks Paul. This is a good explanation. Looking at the picture of the nylon friction shoe it appears this device applies pressure with bowed plastic against a metal piece. I would assume the bowed plastic may have broken and there is no longer pressure being created between the sash and the jamb. The spring seems fine so I think I will try to replace the friction shoe first.

Thanks again.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.