Missing part for my window balances

A home owner from Charlotte NC says:
Hello. House in subdiv circa 1997. All windows only bottom section opens. One window doesn't budge without great force. See img 1437 example of working window and img 1508 missing part. Don't understand how situation came to be re prior owners, but want to install missing piece on both sides of track if available. What dimensional info do you need should you have a replacement?

Thank you,
Formerly from So Jersey
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200504_150801.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200319_143723.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It looks like you  have two windows with two different balance systems. I'm not sure what exactly is missing from either, both appear to have everything needed to function. The first photo matches our Series 775 channel balance and the second photo matches our Series 770 channel balance. Would replacing the balances fix your window? If not, can you specify what exactly is missing?

Thanks for responding, Tom. My error in assuming something missing and maybe not all windows had same parts although stylistically the same. In working with it, the window in left pic doesn't stay up although it now opens more easily. So is it the channel balances that need replacing? The shroud (?) measures 35" and there's "35C" embossed in it. Looks like wire broke at bottom at shoe on one of them. I may have done that after unscrewing at top. Glad to replace the set once figure out how to get shoe out and then back in. Please advise and I'll order. Thank you. Cheaper than new window!
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying! If the window doesn't stay up, then it's definitely time for a new balance. Balances break in many different ways but sometimes the springs just get weaker with age and use. That's probably the situation you're in now. As long as you replace both sides at the same time then your windows should be working normally again.

As for the pivot shoe in the right picture, assuming that's a Series 770 (and I'm confident that it is) then you should consider our 15-129. This is a very common pairing with that balance. I would just  make sure our dimensions match yours to be 100% sure.

We're almost there, Tom. Ordering pair of 35C with 1 1/4 wedge. I had cracked the LH tilt latch after unscrewing the balance spring and it recoiled. Don't see where it matches one of yours. It's 2" exact from screw to screw and has lock screw. Raised "525" on the back. Overall 3" x 1 1/8 measured from bottom. Can you advise? Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

I'm not sure what that might be. These windows all use generic hardware so there's a big pool to pick from. I can tell you that we only have one tilt latch set with a 2" hole center spacing and a 1-1/8" width, which is our 26-337. Could this work for you? Make sure to go over our other dimensions to be certain everything is in alignment. Length doesn't matter so much, I'm mostly concerned about hole placement.

Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.