My Window Doesn't Stay Up. What Do I Need?

A home owner from freehold says:

I have a tilt window and the window does not stay open when lifted. In addition window does not sit in the base of the frame. I measured the bar piece and it is 29" long. What other pieces do I need to order

thank you,

Marlene

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Marelene. This looks like a Series 600 Spiral Balance with a red tip. Could you confirm that the metal tube but not including the colored tip is 29"? If so, then look at our S600-29

Judging from your pictures it looks like the pivot shoes the spiral balances lock into are damaged. Do you have an undamaged one we could see removed from the window? And could you provide the width and thickness of that shoe? This would help us identify what replacement you need. Thanks! 

yes, the spiral balance is 29" without the red tip. Here is a picture of the shoe part that is broken.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

OK, thanks for confirming that tube length. Based on the information provided, it looks like you have the S600-29 with the red tip.

As far as the pivot shoe, I'm afraid that picture is still just a broken piece of the greater whole. You can see our list of pivot shoes here, for reference. If you do not have an undamaged version, could you assemble the broken pieces in such a way that we can see what it may have looked like undamaged? The width and thickness would also be helpful. Thank you!

I measured and believe I need the blackthat is 5/8" pivot shoe. Do I need anything else?
I also need the tension screw that how's the screen in place.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I believe you have an older Keller tilt window. Even though they show a black center cam in the pivot shoe, I believe your measurements should be closer to the 15-046. The color of the cam doesn't matter too much, but the dimensions are everything. Our 15-046 is 1/2" thick. Compare its dimensions with your shoe. 

The screen pin you show looks like the 70-008. Compare the dimensions with yours.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a screen window plunger pin
How to install a screen window plunger pin
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.