My balance does not have a colored tip

A quick learner says:
Hi, I figured out which balance I need except the one I have does not have a colored tip as your site mentioned. The window sash is 28 x 30 and double pane. Can you recommend the right color?
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

Which balance are you looking at? Your existing balance may have a white tip or a very dirty tip preventing you from seeing the color.

If possible, post a picture of the tip here for us to look at.

You can also remove the window sash from the window and weigh it. With the weight of your window sash we can determine which color tip you will need.
A quick learner from CA says:
Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot weigh the sash because there are shutters that were installed with a frame that prohibit removing window easily. I might have to remove the shutter frame to do that. Can you tell from the pictures? If not I guess I will try and find a way to remove the frame.
user submitted photo of spiral balance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You're right, it is very difficult to determine the color of the balance tip.

Moving forward, you will have to get the weight of the sash if you cannot identify the color of the balance tip. We will also need the length of the metal portion of the balance (the casing), not including the spiral portion extending from the casing.
A quick learner says:
Ok...I think we're getting something. The sash is 25.5 pounds and the tube is 28 inches long. The diameter of the tube is 3/8 inches.
Profile picture of Paul
Indeed, we are getting somewhere!

Take a look at the Swisco S900-28 Spiral Balance. Be sure to select the green tip option when added the item(s) to your cart, as the green option will be able to support the weight of your heavier sash.
A quick learner from Valencia CA says:
Hi,

I received the balances...thanks. After taking out the old ones, I figured out that they need to be "charged" so now I guess I need to order a charging tool? I tried turning the spiral with pliers but it seems impossible to attach it without letting go and having the spiral spin loose. I assume that the tool allows you to charge it and also allows for easy insertion into the guide? Or should I give in and hire a pro? I wish I would have known that I needed the tool so I wouldn't now have to pay for shipping again. Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Yes, the Swisco 75-006 Charging Tool for Tilt Windows allows for easy insertion into the guide. For information on how to charge a spiral balance, take a look at the do-it-yourself spiral balance adjustment guide.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.