Need Coil Springs etc

A handy person from Park Hills, Kentucky says:
Need Left and Right Coil Springs Hardware shown in the pictures for 6 windows.
Label picture is from one of the windows.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210323_140929.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210323_142529.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210323_142606.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210323_142623.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210323_142633.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Please see our 15-111 pivot shoe, which is designed to be used with the 1/2" thick Series 160 coil spring. These parts may be what you're looking for. If you can't reuse your old cover, you can use our more modern 15-150S.

Please review these products and let me know if you have any questions.

Hello Tom,
First, thanks for a quick response. I do need additional clarifications.

1A. Can I use 15-191 instead of 15-111?
1B. I am assuming the same works on the left and right side.

2. Old covers are very brittle and hence I would like to replace them. Based on my picture, do I not need 15-150D and not the single coil cover?
Honestly I don't know how the two coils are connected currently (e.g. two in parallel or two in series).

3. Not sure how to pick 160 coil between all the different lbs models you offer. Tomorrow I will check any markings on the broken coils that I am replacing and will get back to you.

4. The existing system has two (2) coils on each side. I will also check on one of the good windows how the two are connected. The window is a single sash window. I will also measure the travel distance.

Thanks again for your assistance and let me know if I should get any more information for you to help me.
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! I'll answer your questions one at a time.

1A: Yes! The 15-191 should be perfectly fine. They're more or less the same part, the 15-191 is just made of a somewhat more durable material.

1B: These balances are perfectly interchangeable between the left and right side.

2: Now that you mention it, I actually can't tell if your old cover is single or double. I thought it was single, but if you have two springs per side then I'm way off. You want the 15-150D. As for how the springs connect, they kind of stack on top of each other like that old Monkeys in a Barrel Game. The bottom coil hooks into the pivot shoe, then the second spring hooks into that first spring. You can see a little hole in the Series 160 that will take the hook.

3: There should be a stamp printed on the old coil spring that tells you what option to pick. If the ink is too faded, though (which happens a lot), then you'll have to get the exact weight of your sash. I can use that to calculate which weight option to go with.

4: Travel distance actually isn't that important these days. Once upon a time, there was a great variance between coil balance lengths from window to window and manufacturer to manufacturer, but modern coil springs are all pretty much the same size. It still may be a good idea to measure just to be sure you don't have to remount your balances, which is sometimes necessary when the old coils were reeeeally long, but I find that to be pretty uncommon. I guess it can't hurt to be sure!

Hopefully that clarifies things. Please let me know if you had any other questions.

Hello Tom, need further assistance. I am providing additional pictures and information.

A. Moving single sash height is 29"

B. 2 coils on each side are 5.5 lbs each and 64" long (pic #01)

C. Pics # 2, #3 and #4 show the all the pieces and how they are connected.

D. After taking out the coils from the left side and replacing the sash, it worked just fine only on two coils on the right side.

E. I would like to convert these windows to a single coil/side if possible.

so what do I need in terms of coils. Are your coils the length that would work? I need to place order for 10 windows (Left and Right).

Thanks Tom.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 01.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 02.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 03.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 04.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us! So, it's a good thing you measured your coils after all, because you have the older style. They don't really make coils that long anymore; most standard coils are 35" to 40". That means you will have to mount these lower in the sash. When you do this, make sure to put them under the tilt latch (specifically, the position they're at while the window is closed). Otherwise the latch will bump into them when you open and close the window. This will require drilling new installation holes.

If you have two 5.5 pound springs on each side of your window, then that means your sash is 22 pounds. If you want to convert your window to only use one coil per side then you'd need an 11 pound spring, but we unfortunately don't sell that size. I'm not sure they even make that. 10 pounds is the heaviest we sell, under the S160-10. That might work but honestly I think you should just stick with the S160-5. If it ain't broke, and all that. It's ultimately up to you. 

Hi Tom, thanks for a very prompt/quick response.

Please look at my Note #D above. It seems that these existing coils might be 'too much' but I will take your recommendation and go with S160-10 as a single coil on both sides.

As for the length, please help me. I don't mind putting new installation holes. I just am not clear about the 'new' location/position ("under the tilt latch).

I think after your answer/clarification, I should be ready to place my order.

Thanks again Tom.
Profile picture of Tom

Sure. So, our shorter springs will still work fine, but if you install them where they went before (at the top of the window), they wont have enough travel to close your window. You'd be fine mounting them around halfway down, but the issue is that the tilt latches on the top corners of your sash will bump into them, preventing you from actually opening the window.

To get around that, just close your window and take note of where the tilt latches are. Then you'd simply install the new coil assembly under that. Your window will still open perfectly fine but that way the tilt latches won't get in the way.

Hi Tom,

Based on your expert assistance and prompt replies, I have just placed and order for 10 windows as follows:
15-191, 15-150S, S160-10 (all quantity of 20).

As you can see, I am going with a single coil/side and 10lb coil solution.

I can hardly wait for the parts to arrive so that I can install the new solution and get these windows working like new. Do you recommend spray lubricant like spray silicone (if it makes a difference) for the coil and/or the jam?

I will post again after the job is finished.

Thanks Tom. Take care and Stay safe.
Hi Tom,

Over the weekend I measured the weight of the moving sash to be 18 lbs. so, the 10lb coils on each side should work out fine.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, glad to hear it! Thank you so much for your business and please let me know if we can be of any help in the future.

Hello Tom,

Triumphant. I received the parts promptly on Wednesday as promised. I installed 6 windows (4 to go) and all of them work great. Single coil solution is much better/ smoother than the two coil old install.
Having said that I am not ready to let you off the hook just yet.
Couple of items:

1. One of the Coil Support (out of 20) was cracked right above the screw hole and indeed it broke in half.

2. New request for Tilt Latch. I have attached 2 pictures of the broken ones and next three are measurements in inches. Please make a recommendation. My customer wants to change out all of them. If you need additional information/measurements please let me know.

Tom I had never repaired windows before however with your assistance all went well and the customer is very happy/satisfied. Thank you for all the assistance and guidance and that too so promptly.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 05.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 04.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 03.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 02.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 01.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That's great news! I'm so glad to hear everything is working out, shy of one cover. That crack sounds like it was our fault so I'll make sure we send you out a new one ASAP, free of charge. Hopefully that makes up for it.

As for the tilt latches, I recommend the 26-243 and 26-244. I feel very confident these are just what you want.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.