Need Constant Force Balance, TRACO Vinyl window

A home owner from Colorado Springs, Colorado says:
I am in need of some window parts and am hoping you can help me.
I have TRACO Vinyl windows and am looking to replace the Constant Force Balances has broken on one of the window.

picture included, The writing I can make out on the coil is #7.
User submitted photos of a coil balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon! Thanks for posting. I think you should look at our 15-087 Coil Housing Pivot and our 16-024 Mounting Bracket. For the coil spring, you may want to check out our S180-7. Let me know what you think!
A quick learner from Irwin, PA says:
How does the coil attach to the pivot shoe? I have not removed my sash as there are no cut outs on the frame and I will have to do this by hand and was also wondering if I should make this cutout at the top of the double hung frame,then I will replace the sash stop over it? I have replaced spiral balancers in the past but never a coil.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For the hardware featured in this discussion, the coil spring would be placed inside the housing of the pivot shoe. You can see what I mean by looking at the customer image above.

If you want to make cut outs, then there is a very specific spot you need to place it. For the bottom sash, make the cut out at the top of the jamb, behind the sash stop. For the top sash, make the cut out at the bottom of the jamb. This way the pivot shoe won't fall through the hole you make when you operate the window.
A quick learner from Oberlin, Kansas says:
My mom has this exact same Traco residential window with 2 broken lower sash coil springs. I have tried and tried, and I can't figure out how to remove the bottom sash.

None of the videos on line show this type of window. There are no cut-outs in the frame. Cut-outs at the very top of the jamb won't work to remove the lower sash because the bottom sash needs to be pretty verticle before it will slide up and down. You can't tilt out and raise the pivot shoe to that area because as you raise the bottom sash, the top of the window frame and ceiling prevent you from keeping the sash in a vertical position and it " locks up" and won't slide up or down in a horizontal position.

Also,the lower sash "bottom" or pivot shoe areas have to be very level ( when tilted out) or the pivot shoes lock up and won't slide up or down in the track.

Perhaps these sashes were not made to be removable?

I Tried to call Traco but I was told they have been bought and sold and no longer produce ( or service-support) residential windows.

Any suggestions or tips for removing the bottom sash so the springs can be replaced?

Thanks,

Kevin
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Kevin. Hopefully I can help.

You may be a little confused. You do not remove the sash with the pivot shoes. You remove the sash first, then slide the pivot shoes through the cut-out. To remove the sash, just raise the sash a few inches, tilt in, then twist it to disengage it from the shoes.
A quick learner from Oberlin, KS says:
OK. After several more attempts, I did manage to remove the lower sash. Very tight fit and not easy, but do- able.

Thanks Tom.
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.