Need help identifying the right spiral balance

A home owner from Texas, San Antonio says:
I'm restoring my old windows and need help identifying the right spiral balance. I think it's called double hung window... both windows go up and down the the outer window has the smaller spiral balance which has no tube and is just the spring and spiral.I guessed the length and came up with 27 inches and a 1/2. I measured another spiral balance from another window which has a tube and it measures about 1/2 inch wide. The inner widow has the longer spiral balance which is about 29 inches and 1/2. I guessed with that one as well because it has no tube...the windows don't seem to weigh much without the glass. I'm thinking no more than 10lb to 15lb.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190410_000841.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190410_000915.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190410_002438.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We don't have an exact replacement for your balance, but our S500 spiral balance may do the trick. You'd need to use the S500-28 and S500-30 based on the picture of your balance lengths, but I'd recommend double checking and measuring the way we show on our product pages. You'll need our 17-012 to replace your old brackets. You'll also need to weigh the bottom sashes to choose the correct tip colors for your balances. Thank you!

Hello and thank you for your help!!! I measured the spiral balance once more and came up with the same measurements,29" 1/2 and 27" 1/12. I trust your judgment and will be going with the S500-28, S500-30 and 17-012. I finally installed the glass to get the total weight of the sash. Inner bottom sash weighs 20lb 6oz and outer top sash weighs 20lb. I'll be working on 10 windows some smaller so I was wondering if there is a tool you recommend to turn the spiral balance for more tension to hold up the window? Thank you for making my project more easier!!!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Sure, for these Series 500 Non-Tilt Spiral Balances, the 75-005 Charging Tool should work for you. 

Will I be getting the series 500 red,blue or black tip? One sash weighs 20lb 6oz and another 20lb..
Profile picture of Bob

Based on the information you just gave us, you can go with the red tip on both of these balances. 

Profile picture of Bob

My pleasure! Let me know if you have any questions. We'll always do our best to help.

Ok, thank you!!!
Hi! I ordered the S500-28 and S500-30 but ended up short 2 inches...The S500-30 fit perfect where the S500-28 was needed, so I'll be ordering the S500-32 in place of the S500-30. Is it possible to return S500-28 and order the S500-32?
Profile picture of Bob

Ah, sorry to hear that. You can return them for a refund, yes. See our return policy here for the details.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.